To pagefile or not to pagefile....

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Have spent the morning reading all about it, which I recall having done before.

As my pagefile was up to 25GB which was taking up far too much space on my 120GB SSD Ive changed the settings to 1024MBmin and 4096max. I was going to disable it entirely as from what I read with 24GB of actual RAM I wouldnt really need virtram/pagefile. However I shall go the safe route and just alter the max size :)

Shall see how it goes. If I get any BSOD then I'll know if 25GB really was needed....unlikely.

JPB

Full time elf
I think I read somewhere that SSDs have a definite max number of writes per block and page files are probably not the best use for them. And yes, with 24 GB of physical RAM you possibly dont need it.

Roy, a pagefile is a section of your hard drive that is used to supplement your RAM.

It will be interesting where this thread goes.

Jon

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Yes exactly what I read JPB.

However I also read that removing/disabling it entirely can cause BSOD's with some applications. Another option is to move it to a HDD. I didnt want to have to put a HDD in the show machine just to hold that so just lowered it.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The best way is to give it a go and see how it performs, then you can make up your mind if its worth it.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Have a read of these, they reflect my opinion on this topic:

Understanding the Windows Pagefile and Why You Shouldn't Disable It

Q&A: Should I place the Windows ‘Page File’ on the SSD or the hard drive?

The writes from the pagefile are insignificant as newer SSDs are designed to last something like 20 years.

Basically if you need the space, reduce the file size of the pagefile or move it to a different (new?) disk.

If you don't need the space, let Windows manage it (it is pretty good at that now).