Transformer question

Andrew2708

New elf
Hi all,

I was given this Xmas light but no transformer, do you know where I can buy a transformer or how to creatively get this working? eg cut the cable and maybe wire it to another??

Thanks

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_9758.jpg
    IMG_9758.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9757.jpg
    IMG_9757.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9756.jpg
    IMG_9756.jpg
    803.4 KB · Views: 19

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Any transformer with 24VAC output greater than 36VA capacity will do the job. Jaycar perhaps, aliexpress may have something. Finding something with terminals and a housing with plug would be ideal to prevent having to mess around with the mains side.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
That's the only one on Jaycar's site that fulfills requirements. Anyway what's wrong with a little bit of encouragement to get more lights! 😁

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
With the image you have supplied.
We know that the output voltage must be 24v and AC.
We also know that the minimum power rating of the transformer is 36VA. (VA is voltage multiplied by amperage. So 36 divided by 24 = 1.5A).

1632119174571.png

This is what you need to look out for:
  • Little wave symbol or "AC".
  • 24v
  • At least 36VA or 1.5A written. This can be over. The bigger it is, the more lights can be run off it.
ac_transformer.JPG
What you DO NOT want is a DC power supply:
dc_power_supply.JPG

dc_ac.JPG

As for the connector:
Find a transformer with a barrel connector:
1632119923421.png
That way you can buy a plug to screw or solder onto the light string.
1632119941639.png

A barrel connector is an example. You can use something else, just make sure there is a matching connector avaliable.

I don't know about you, but here there's a few op shops that have bins full of transformers/power supplies. It's a great way they can sell something useful from a broken electronics devices.
Op shops are a cheap place to get them, they are not always tested though.

Online might have something.
Even a garage sale or online auction, usually the light string dies before the transformer.

Have a look around.
$65 would by 50m of lights at Bunnings, that's far more value than the transformer for used lights.

i13

Dedicated elf
My suggestion would be to post a "Wanted" thread. It is not unusual for forum members here to convert their traditional strings to computer control. That makes these plugpacks redundant.