Unusual use for a FPP setup (Fishtank)

battle79

Full time elf
Hi All,

So my brother just got me to help him set up FPP and directly drive from the RasPi a couple metres of strip to light his tropical fish tank.
We built a 30 minute sequence to transition from daytime, to sunset, to moonlight. Then a second one in reverse. And thirdly, we build a 30 minute one that is just moonlight.
Add them into a playlist and check the first only once and last only once checkboxes and 6pm till 6am.

Will let you know how it goes. Hardest part is he needs to have a proper aquarium daylight bulb running during the day, so timing will be key to it looking right. It currently just runs off a timer, but if it is not accurate then we'll swap to using one of the outputs on the Pi and a relay controlled by the playlist.

Bonus is for parties he can have lights dance around the tank to whatever sequence he makes. LOL. Poor fish.

Anyway, just another project made possible (or at least quicker and easier) by our hobby.

Regards,
Rowan

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
have you thought of using one of them pixel boards to drive like a DCSSR, to switch on the proper aquarium daylight bulb?
just a thought

multicast

Senior elf
You can get a small chip now which attaches to the nervous system of a fish, and it uses Komby wireless. If you follow this throguh Alec, you can get the fish to dance in sync?

battle79

Full time elf
Alec,
Using a relay and one of the GPIO pins from the Pi should be equivalent to using a DCSSR board, just for only one channel.

Pixels run directly off pin 18 from the Pi. All hardware is in cupboard under tank, so short runs for everything.

Multicast, you got a link to that? sound awesome. I definitely want a fish tank that changes colour with the movement of the fish, or a fish that moves in time to the lights. :eek: 8)

Regards,
Rowan

multicast

Senior elf
possibly a solution ( this time real ) would be to use a video camera and something like opencv to do motion detection...