Answered Using commas for submodel magic

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
I've got a custom model that doesn't render effects optimally, due to the nature of it's design.

With some help from facebook folks, I have got an understanding that I need to use commas to 'trick' xlights into seeing blank space as part of the render buffer, trouble is, I am still not having any success with this.

Is anyone able to find the solution?

My sub models constist of the following:

• String 1: 3-4,9-10,15-16,21-22,27-28,33-34,39-40,45-46,51-52,57-58,63-64 (total = 22)
  • String 2: 2,5,8,11,14,17,20,23,26,29,32,35,38,41,44,47,50,53,56,59,62,65 (total = 22)
  • String 3: 1,6-7,12-13,18-19,24-25,30-31,36-37,42-43,48-49,54-55,60-61,66-74 (total = 30)
  • Combo: where I've repeated the above with 'Top', 'Line 2', and 'Bottom'
Xlights submodels says "Empty Commas(,) can be used to create empty spaces in the render buffer."

I then added 8 commas to the end of String 1 and String 2 to make them appear as 30 node strings - It did not make any difference to the effect after rendering.
Example: 3-4,9-10,15-16,21-22,27-28,33-34,39-40,45-46,51-52,57-58,63-64,,,,,,,,​

Please help!

1701475998805.png

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
So, let's start with the basics.

What type is the original model? Spinner, matrix, tree, etc
How did you get it? Download, imported, made, etc
What are you trying to achieve?
Where did the custom submodel come from?
What is actually not working?

Pavle

So, let's start with the basics.

What type is the original model? Spinner, matrix, tree, etc
How did you get it? Download, imported, made, etc
What are you trying to achieve?
Where did the custom submodel come from?
What is actually not working?

It's a matrix, made as custom, it forms part of my house outline.
so if you put a shockwave effect on a normal even 3 row matrix, it would move along the rows in parallel.
On this model, 1 string (the longer one) is not aligned whilst the other 2 are.

I will try and add a video to demonstrate.
Thought only I would notice..... 1st night, it's been pointed out to me a couple of times.

Pavle

Video sample - bottom left of garage is the model in question. All the other panels are even so work as intendend.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Which one is it and can you provide the wiring diagram for it?

Pavle

Which one is it and can you provide the wiring diagram for it?
Isn't the wiring diagram in the OP?
I edited above video post to advise it's the bottom left of garage

Kimbo3000

Apprentice elf
FYI.. the order of the pixels in the submodel also makes a difference depending on the render method during sequencing.. so pixels 4-8 can display differently to 8-4.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Oh ok, i see exactly what you mean now. When you make your submodel just do not include 67 - 74 in that particular one. it'll stop at the top of the bush then.

We're in chat to make things easier.

Pavle

custom xmodel attached

Attachments

• leftGarageColumn.xmodel
    1.4 KB · Views: 3

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Ooh, a submodel mystery. I like those.
Let me say that it is weird that your xmodel file is corrupt (didn't have a closing tag) but I fixed that and imported it.
Single strand applied to the LHGCOutline looks great to me... the commas are working.
LHCG.png

You never said what you were rendering against - whether it was a group with a stranded submodel, a group of strand models (String1-3), the model directly, etc., and then what render style. The problem is probably that you have individual strands in a group, and some render style like per model single line... and the commas aren't doing anything for it for some reason. You might do what @Indigogyre suggested and just leave off some pixels if you can't work out a grouping and render style combo that are convenient for you.

Pavle

Ooh, a submodel mystery. I like those.
Let me say that it is weird that your xmodel file is corrupt (didn't have a closing tag) but I fixed that and imported it.
Single strand applied to the LHGCOutline looks great to me... the commas are working.
View attachment 24673

You never said what you were rendering against - whether it was a group with a stranded submodel, a group of strand models (String1-3), the model directly, etc., and then what render style. The problem is probably that you have individual strands in a group, and some render style like per model single line... and the commas aren't doing anything for it for some reason. You might do what @Indigogyre suggested and just leave off some pixels if you can't work out a grouping and render style combo that are convenient for you.
Thanks for taking a look and putting together a reply.
It ended up actually working with the 8 commas inserted. It was showing as not working due to something at group level in the sequencing.
Remapped as a new sequence and everything is working now.