virtual Santa - you don't need fancy window material :)

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Here's a few photos to show that virtual Santa's (or any other window projection you want to do - eg virtual ghosts at Halloween) don't have to be done through a pristine window with the best projection materials.

Projector is a $200+ ebay one supposedly 2800 lumens, but I reckon a fair bit less.

My virtual Santa is projected to the upper story balcony doors thru a thickish cotton curtain, thru a screen door, thru a tinted glass door.
Pictures taken a 11am on a very bright day (except the last one of Santa)
pic 1 is curtain
pic 2 is screen door
pic 3 is tinted glass door
pic 4 is no door (so you can see how much the three materials reduce the brightness)
pic 5 was taken at night, as you can see, you can quite clearly see Santa (pic taken on phone using digital zoom)

In fact when looking at the lights a lot of the audience don't see Santa right away. Which I reckon is a good thing, it definitely looks more like someone is wandering around in the dark than an obvious projection.

There's nothing wrong with having a big bright window with a Santa display, or elf workshop etc. Just posting this to show people you can still get a reasonable projection even thru tinted windows and using not ideal projection material.

Attachments

• video projection 1 curtain.jpg
    video projection 1 curtain.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 34
  • video projection 2 screendoor.jpg
    video projection 2 screendoor.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 28
  • video projection 3 glassdoortinted.jpg
    video projection 3 glassdoortinted.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 25
  • video projection 4 no doors.jpg
    video projection 4 no doors.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 37
  • video projection 5 Santa.jpg
    video projection 5 Santa.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 44

drlucas

Apprentice elf
....I did a pretty sketch projection this year with the juggling snowman...took a ladder, put a bed sheet over it and projected on that. other than the wind tipping the ladder over it worked great!! where the $$$$ comes in should be the projector, then the effects, then the screen.

scamper

Dedicated elf
....I did a pretty sketch projection this year with the juggling snowman...took a ladder, put a bed sheet over it and projected on that. other than the wind tipping the ladder over it worked great!! where the $$$$ comes in should be the projector, then the effects, then the screen.
True that. If the projector is up to the task, then it will show up good. I myself have a cheap one and when I shine it through a dark tinted window, it still is OK but when you have all the other lights on, it gets very lost. But I still have kids that spot it :)