3.x Vixen 3.1u2 loosing sequence

ando1961

New elf
Can someone please let me know why I loose everything in a timed sequence. I loaded a different profile but had all the same channels set-up and when I opened my sequence all of my hard work was lost. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this back. I spent hours on the sequence and to loose it all is very disappointing. Any assistance appreciated. I have v3.1u2 vixen. I absolutley love the program but struggling with this one issue.

Les.

SKMoss

New elf
Les,

I'm still very new to Vixen, but I've started helping with some QA/Testing. So the below, may be inaccurate.

We are having a discussion among the Vixen 3 devs about the use of profiles. There's some questions about how users are specifically using them.

What are you expecting to happen when you change a profile. I'll forward that to the dev team.

Currently, based on that internal discussion, it looks like a profile works like a project and houses all the data. New profile would be like a new project.

Have you gone back to the old profile? Is the sequence there? If so, I think (and this is a bit of a guess) you can go to the hard drive and copy the data from one profile to another.

By the way 3.1u2 is a dev/test/beta type release. I think 3.06 is the current official release.

SKMoss

New elf
That makes sense. I remember reading somewhere in the mass quantity of other stuff, that 3.06 was the current release. Probably an older post, and I didn't realize.

ando1961

New elf
Steve,

Thanks for the rely and your suggestions. I am using the profile as a test bed for adding or removing strings and layouts.
I have a default profile that has my original sequence in it and I have played around with the setup several times and each time loosing the entire sequence.
So what I wanted to do was now that I have spent hours on the sequence, setup another profile and play with this one so I will not loose all my work.
Your suggestion of copying the directories made me think that this was the issue. I only had to copy 1 directory (SystemData) across to the new profile directory and voila, there is my sequence. ;) I need to test now that if I change a string length what effect will this have on my sequence. I will be making backup copies of both directories prior to testing this.

******* Just found out that you need to edit VixenApplicationData.xml and remove all reference to RecentSequences, save file and start Vixen. Otherwise it still is looking at original sequence and will load this instead. ********

If you are talking to the V3 Devs suggest that somewhere it tells you which profile you are using as this could get confusing if you are going to use more than 1 profile.

Les

#1mate

364 Days building 1 night admiring.
Les,
I have also had a similar issue when I forced computer to shut down due to crash.
Appears Vixen looses data file in this process. I currently use windows 7. When this happened found display set up disappears as well had to delete all sequences (timed as sequence disappears but not music and will not display new display setup) and had to restart again. Is not fun but I understand program better as well. It is a shame as version 1 did not do this. :'(
Brett.

B_P_J

Full time elf
Hey #1mate, I had the preview disappear on me, when I set it up I highlighted all the components and made it a template, this way its easy to add back, and it stays when everything else disappears, then all you do is add template, drag it into position and away you go, well sorry you right click on it and separate template, then its all back to normal

SKMoss

New elf
#1mate,

Sounds like the preview configuration had not been saved, when your crash happened. I've tested and validated that the save happens when I exit the dialogs back to the main admin window.

I've added a suggestion to the dev team for a save button on the screen.

In the mean time, may I suggest you periodically close the dialogs to force a save.