What is the future of Christmas lighting? An open discussion... continued!

Romerio

New elf
But your mega tree, singing faces or icicles may also be a matrix due to the type of lights used or way it is designed.

Is this because all of the effects in sequencing software get mapped to a matrix (or group of matrices) in the end? It's easier to think about how the display will look if the physical layout of the lights matches the matrix the effects are mapped to.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ummm... maybe the majority of ACL member or commercial displays. It's still a tiny percentage of general public displays.
We are only really talking about displays done by the online community not the general public as that's obvious by doing any driving around and looking at peoples displays.
But the online communities have really taken on RGB and there are many people who would love to add it to their dis[plays but anything more complex than just plugging into an outlet is too complex for most of the general public.

Barnabybear

New elf
Hi, I’m not sure that we are using matrices to their full potential yet. Probably because of the tools that come with the sequencers it easy to drop a video or effect on a matrix and have a wow factor (I’m not knocking the sequencer tools).

If you think about matrices as a densely packed area of LEDs that just need to be setup as sub models you can create more traditional elements. The video link is a test of a Holdman star I used in my display this year.

View: https://vimeo.com/246700500

(20 P10s 4 wide x 10 high – in Pixel terms 64 wide x 160 high).

Once we have some good spreadsheets for the more traditional models, things will be much easier and there is a good selection to props choose from (in fact you can have them all), stars, Holdman star, snow flakes, spinners, then the singing elements trees, bulbs & pumpkins.

Last edited: