What should you do for props that don’t take a convenient number of pixels?

merryoncherry

Senior elf
This is a frequently-asked question. The common answers are:

1. Just let the extras hang there. For a prop like a Rosa Wreath that takes 696 pixels, leaving 4 just hang there (or tucking them in) is appealing to a lot of people.
  2. Cut them off, and optionally:
    • cover over with something that protects the bare wire from the elements
    • add a pigtail to the end
In year 1, I just cut them off, and that approach held up, but I now prefer putting a pigtail at the end, as it can be useful for chaining to another prop, or inserting power. But what if you want to do a build like 8 insane canes, each taking 189 pixels? You probably don’t want to buy 8 pigtails for splicing and end up with 8 scraps of 11 pixels… and you don't have to.

The option I now prefer is to be a little bit smarter about using scraps, which will save a bit of work and waste.

For the first cane, do the obvious thing:

controller <=====String of 100 pixels=====< <========89 pixels | cut | spliced pigtail<

Now, you have a scrap of 11 (or 10, depending on how close you cut) pixels. This scrap has a female pigtail on it, which will make it very convenient to use at the end of the next prop...

Controller <=====String of 100 pixels=====< <========78 pixels | cut | spliced 11 pixels =<

After this cane, you will now have a scrap of 22 pixels with a female pigtail on it. You can then proceed in a similar way to do the remaining canes:

Controller <=====String of 100 pixels=====< <=======67 pixels | cut | spliced 22 pixels ==< Controller <=====String of 100 pixels=====< <======56 pixels | cut | spliced 33 pixels ===< Controller <=====String of 100 pixels=====< <=====45 pixels | cut | spliced 44 pixels ====< Controller <=====String of 100 pixels=====< <===34 pixels | cut | spliced 55 pixels ======< Controller <=====String of 100 pixels=====< <==23 pixels | cut | spliced 66 pixels =======< Controller <=====String of 100 pixels=====< <=12 pixels | cut | spliced 77 pixels ========<

At the end of this build, you will have done a reasonably minimal amount of splicing, and you would have a string of 88 pixels with the pigtail on the end, which could be useful elsewhere.
Or, if you had a scrap of at least 12 in your inventory when you started the build, you would have saved a string.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Last year @merryoncherry and I had this discussion about cutting and splicing and he shared his method. I can attest that it is a good method for saving material and time.

There is one thing that I do that might seem wasteful to others but it's something to make things easier for me later. When cutting strings I sacrifice a pixel to make the leads as long as I can. So when cutting the strings I cut right next to the pixel that is leave and I cut it out of both sides. This will leave almost 4" of wire for me to splice onto. My reasoning is if I need to rework that joint I wills till have enough wire to do so. Every prop will get a pigtail so that if needed it can be moved, chained or power injected as needed.

Now, what happens when you do not have a batch of the same props? You can still dot he same thing but it takes a bit of thought beforehand. I put together a spreadsheet and try to figure out the cuts and the flow of the splices. The below is what I am starting to work out for when I put my strings together.

Upgrade or RepairsDescriptionNodesPartialStringOff Cut
Star 36-27036" Impression Star - 2702707010029
Flake A - Impression24" - 139 Nodes13913960
Flake A - Impression24" - 139 Nodes139139
Flake D - Impression24" - 205 Nodes105105
Spooky TreeSpooky Tree C Singing - 394 Nodes
Trunk - Start1 - 132132132100
Branch 1133 - 1794747-48
Branch 2180 - 242636336
Branch 3243 - 2874545-46
Branch 4288 - 3314444-45
Branch 5332 -3643333-34
Trunk - End365 - 3943030-31
Zombie Flake A24" - 147 Nodes474710052
Zombie Flake A24" - 147 Nodes474710052

Dean

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Yes, I do usually cut close to the pixel to leave more wire. That would leave you with 80 at the end... otherwise no difference in the method.

Another thing I would do with any of the 12V pixels I have is cut the first 11(or 10) + pigtail off the end of the first string, cut the male off the 2nd string, and splice 189 continuous. 189, (less than 100 from power if you power the far end) is not too many for these kinds of pixels.

DarkwinX

Full time elf
This is some fantastic advise. I've definitely asked this question this year.

And I like Indis sacrifice a pixel method because I'm bad at wire joining.

In my case doing rooflines everything is not set and known until I cut all the pieces (although I have a rough idea of pixels). There is only one piece that will be longer than 100 pixels but for storage I think I need to keep them separate and not join them.

Is it worth tucking a few extra pixels away within the prop in case you get a bad one later - less splicing overall?

Either way this was a very timely post - thanks both!

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Seems like another case where a lot of approaches would work.

I don't tuck the extras with the prop. I have a scrap bin, always within easy reach. The pixels are in clear zip loc bags and I sharpie the year and brand on the bags. Mostly I remember what the prop is made of... but if you can't tell which exact vintage by looking at the board, I think it rarely matters.

Repairs ought to be pretty rare. If it needs that many repairs, maybe you shouldn't use the original kind anyway. I lost 1 in 10,000 in year 1 and 2, with the exception of batches from one vendor that were 10-100x worse than this... some of those got the rip and replace after a few days' running. Others, I still have to make the repairs properly as I set up this year.

Quad

New elf
Sometimes, like when we are running out of time🙄, we have declared the "extra pixels" as null pixels in xlights.
As a bonus, the strings retain any warranty and certifications if they came with any, but the extra pixels do suck up some quiescent current.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Sometimes, like when we are running out of time🙄, we have declared the "extra pixels" as null pixels in xlights.
As a bonus, the strings retain any warranty and certifications if they came with any, but the extra pixels do suck up some quiescent current.
And I suppose it is a handy supply of repair pixels on the back, as some suggest.