which program to use

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The good old question on what software to use.
This will vary depending on who you talk to as people are passionate about the software they use.
Personally i use LSP because it does all i need without needing addons

fmt1962

New elf
OK I am only new to this, and I have done what has been suggested, I downloaded LSP, LOR and Vixen 3 and am trialling them all....

However I must be missing something.... LSP appears to be the most popular with many "going to it from others after a time" but from the last couple of weeks of testing, it is some of the most horrible software I have ever tried to use, the docos are bad, I am finding it hard to find something good about it, so please someone tell me what I am missing here.....

LOR seems a bit friendlier, but Vixen 3 is a breeze, pick it up and within minutes can do most anything, so logically organised.

I am prepared to spend $$$ and put in time to get the best result, so if LSP is truly one many are turning to, I would love to understand why and if valid, put time into the best solution first time.

Puzzled..... Daryl

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
DarylW said:
OK I am only new to this, and I have done what has been suggested, I downloaded LSP, LOR and Vixen 3 and am trialling them all....

However I must be missing something.... LSP appears to be the most popular with many "going to it from others after a time" but from the last couple of weeks of testing, it is some of the most horrible software I have ever tried to use, the docos are bad, I am finding it hard to find something good about it, so please someone tell me what I am missing here.....

LOR seems a bit friendlier, but Vixen 3 is a breeze, pick it up and within minutes can do most anything, so logically organised.

I am prepared to spend $$$ and put in time to get the best result, so if LSP is truly one many are turning to, I would love to understand why and if valid, put time into the best solution first time.

Puzzled..... Daryl

Daryl you should go with what works for you. I went from Vixen 2.5 to LSP and it took me probably a good 12 months to finally get a good enough grasp of it to use it. In fact I bought LSP in July 2012 and still ended up doing my 2012 show in Vixen as I couldn't get the hang of it. Having said that, I have since learnt how powerful LSP is and for what I want to do it is well suited. However, I will also likely be using Falcon Player to run the show from a pi this year.
There is nothing wrong with Vixen and in fact a number of users switched from LSP to Vixen 3 for their 2014 display. So if Vixen 3 works for you, go with it. Its free after all.

arw01

Full time elf
LSP has a learning curve, there are many good videos here on ACL a few more on youtube a couple on Vimeo.

There is an active facebook group that can get you answers fast. I've used it two seasons now, and continue to just scratch at how powerful it is. The rewrite is progressing with a little tidbit of the performance it will have in the sequencer recently posted in the Facebook group.

Post specific questions of what you want to do or are struggling with. The BIGGEST THING IS DRAW YOUR ELEMENTS, LSP uses those drawings for the effects. I add a controller, and go draw the elements, save it, move onto the next controller.

You set yourself up a template sequence so you can just load all your controllers and elements in one whack on the next one.

Alan

SKMoss

New elf
Also new to all of this. Which software? hmm about the same question as Mac, PC or hmm Linux. Ford or Chevy? The religious wars will always be there.

I'd suggest downloading them and see what fits your needs. Don't get put off by the learning curve on any of them to start. If you're new, the learning curve for the first couple you look at will be steep.

I'm using Vixen 3. Simple, intuitive for the most part. Good community support. Free.

I think I'd take a harder look at LSP, but for the size of the show I have planned the cost for the app would be too much. I'd need Lightshow Pro Pro @$400.

Depending on how you go you may also want a Raspberry PI with FPP installed to run the shows you generate from your sequencing software.

DanJ

Full time elf
Topgia--another XL/NC user here. I started sequencing in 2013 and decided in August of that year to add pixels to my display (which was a stretch for me in the first year). I used XL/NC to sequence my RGBs and I found it extremely easy to use. For info, Sean and the development team working with him (all volunteers) currently plan to release a major upgrade (XL 4.0) to the XL/NC software. It is moving from its current configuration (which is very easy to use as I noted above...) to a "grid-based" configuration around mid February 2015. I highly recommend that you try XL/NC if you are planning to do RGBs. I am currently using LOR to sequence my AC lights and XL/NC for my RGBs (LOR really slows down with large #s of RGB channels...) and it is really easy to pull LOR sequences into XL/NC and add the RGB elements to the imported LOR sequence information. Also, XL/NC 4.0 will have full capability to sequence single AC channels around June 2015. Sean normally does online tutorials every Thursday at 7 MST; those are really helpful--all are uploaded onto Vimeo--look for Sean Meighan's videos. I hope this helps you in your choice.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I think if you use a combination of LOR, Xlights and superstar add on you will be fine... :)

OK that was my sales pitch (LSP Sucks) hehe

No seriously I would Demo them all out and see what feels most comfortable for you.
Xlights 4 will be out soon and that may be the upgrade I am looking for.

See the Demo

XL4 Status Jan17 on Vimeo

-Blu

Boof63

Senior elf
HLS for me . its cheap -FREE, updates are done daily if Joe finds errors or is alerted to them.
Does have a learning curve as do all, Works well for my 5000+ pixels,
Helpful users in OZ and US. Does have a manual all be it a little out of date but basics will still
get you up and running
Cheers Boof63 :D

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
bluzervic said:
I think if you use a combination of LOR, Xlights and superstar add on you will be fine... :)

OK that was my sales pitch (LSP Sucks) hehe

-Blu

So using 3 programs to achieve what one program can do sucks does it, LOL :D