wide vs narrow arches vs something else?

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
So I'm looking to add some arches in along the front fence. It seems to me to make sense to align to the existing brickwork. SHould I look at doing really wide arches? Or two smaller ones in the same space?

arches-q.jpg

I *think* I'm leaning towards #1 - but i'm still a little unsure.

Also -- would be really interested if anyone has a similar fence they could share examples of? Or has suggestions for something other than arches.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I'd go for two smaller ones.
Mainly because I think more of them leaping over looks better than fewer arches leaping over.
2nd reason is consistency. Maybe you add an arch to the small fence section and gate also. Two large arches then small arches would look a bit weird.
1647239767676.png

Also because yours are higher off the ground, it means you could do this idea with smaller arches to form a circle:

View: https://youtu.be/yXQ8FrASIq0?t=294

Just a side idea that you could do in a few years time ;).

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Everyone seems to be in pretty clear agreement - two shorter arches over 1 longer one.
My hula-hoop/HDPE arrives later this week. So will hopefully start building something next weekend.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf

You probably need to contact them about stock. When I talked to them a few months back doing some early planning - they said they had a bunch on a giant reel - but only cut a few 25m lengths and put them on the website at a time. I bought the “last” 2, but per that discussion - they likely have more.
Got some fittings from Bunnings - hoping to light up the first one at least this weekend. If you can wait till after that - I’ll share some photo/video.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
2C5880C6-8B90-4C2E-AC86-734972C77794.jpeg
I’ll do a better write-up in a couple of weeks - when I get a chance to work on more... It’s pretty good. It *just* fits into the 25mm conduit inspection tees from Bunnings. I’ve got ws2815/60ppm/5V in here (117 pixels).

i did a bad job with lining up the strip before I soldered the pigtails. I’m realising now I’ve got a really clean looking build - but one that’s challenging for any maintenance.