Yoda Mentor

RghTx

New elf
I am very new to this hobby and have received a number of suggestions. I'm sufficiently confused enough to know that I will have many, many questions about proceeding. Is there a section of this forum that has mentors? The scope of my questions and frequency will probably require someone I can email with what will appear to be the stupidest questions on Earth. Thanks

TerryK

Retired Elf
No mentors as such. There are quite a number of SMEs (Subject Matter Expert) of course but finding someone who has experience in the hardware and software you prefer will be I think difficult. And then factor in physical design variances of your display as well.

Rather your best approach I think is to search the ACL Forums to find how others have encountered and overcome problems. Watch Youtube videos (I prefer Canispater Christmas, some individuals like DrZZs) to help move yourself up the learning curve. I would assume by now you've already been through the ACL 101 Manual a couple times. And, there is the ACL Chat Room; rare is the time when no one is in there.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I think the answer to this varies a lot based on what part of the hobby you want to spend time on, what you are trying to accomplish, whether you are detail-oriented or just want it to work, that sort of thing.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
As @TerryK mentioned the chat room is a very great resource when starting out. My first pixel display would have never been completed if it wasn't for ACL chat room with @bluzervic, @ShellNZ and many others. No such thing as a "stupid question", someone has asked it before I'm sure. Happy to help any way I can and I'm sure others are too. Best of luck, don't be shy

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Chat was the best way I got help. Everyone here helped each other, That is how we all got it done. lots of good stories to tell too.
If you can't jump in chat, Post up. Someone here will help or has the answer.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
If you are starting out, have you read the 101 manual to at least familiarise yourself with some of the terminology used and also some of the main parts of the puzzle to it all?
Otherwise as already suggested, jump in chat, search the forums or hopefully someone who lives close by could offer a hand (you may need to reach out via other means such as Xlights facebook group to acheive this)