1 universe with mix of 12v and 5v help

burner

Full time elf
I need some help. This picture explains my current setup. I'm trying to use last years 5v RGB strings on the same universe as the 12v strips in the front yard. At this stage, the 1st (12v) element does what I expect, the 2nd (5v) element does what I expect. The 3rd element (12v) has a panic attack (ie flickering lights of random colours). I tested the voltage on the lead in cable, and it's at 12.2v (my PSU is set to 12.48v). I'm sure I need something else grounded, can anyone offer any assistance on this?
Voltagemix.jpg

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The data flow and power connections look about right. I'd be looking at voltage drop on the 5V string being the issue. I'd look at adding power injection at the far end of the 5V string to make sure the 12V string at the end gets a decent suck of the sauce bottle.

burner

Full time elf
Good thinking. I just came back inside from another 'play' and noticed that the top of the 5v element (a pixel string spiral tree with 75 pixels) was not so white towards the top. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

burner

Full time elf
O.K., this seemed to help somewhat, and I also had to add extra 12v power injection to the beginning of the 3rd element, which is around 95% working properly (occassional flicking during the sequence, but hardly noticeable).