10µW transmit distance?

darrenr

Apprentice elf
I'm thinking of adding an FM transmitter to my display in 2020. To stay legal without a broadcast lic in AU I'll need to stay under the 10µW limit.
Does anyone know how far a signal will effectively transmit at this power level?
Also recommendations for transmitters that will operate at this power.
Thanks
Darren

Tony.G

New elf
I used a fm transmitter from Jaycar this year as I didn't have time to order a better one but done the job. Reached 3 houses up and down from my house. Cost me about $24

scamper

Dedicated elf
You will be lucky to find a transmitter with power that low. And if you did, it will transmit about a meter.
In general terms, and this is very general. 1w gets about 1km transmission.
So 10uw is 0.00001w. So if you do the math.... next to nothing.
I don't believe anyone on this site, or fr that matter that does xmas lights would ever contemplate that.
The law is the law, but it is really there to stop idiots, and as long as you steer cler of local stations and are not stupid about it, no one will worry you with the rules.

bretheron

Been bitten by the bug.
I am not sure what the old LOR whole house transmitter put out, but the signal barely went passed my fence line. Now I use a second generation Ebay special that could be anywhere from 1 watt to 5 watts and has pretty good pick up from the next suburb. Scamper is correct in my view, simply do not be silly with it but understand the law.

What we do is lights and sound and without either, it looks just strange. Until the men in black knock on my door I will just keep going with the best sound I can get and not answer the door.

darrenr

Apprentice elf
You will be lucky to find a transmitter with power that low. And if you did, it will transmit about a meter.
In general terms, and this is very general. 1w gets about 1km transmission.
So 10uw is 0.00001w. So if you do the math.... next to nothing.
I don't believe anyone on this site, or fr that matter that does xmas lights would ever contemplate that.
The law is the law, but it is really there to stop idiots, and as long as you steer cler of local stations and are not stupid about it, no one will worry you with the rules.
Yep agree, and I'm thinking the devices you plug into your car cigarette power, that connect Bluetooth from your phone to the car radio is what they have in mind for the ultra low power exception. That would only need to be a metre transmissible distance.