12v or 5v if power consumption is not an issue?

BigRedNole

New elf
I have not delved into a Christmas display until now. I have thought about it, but at the times it was cost prohibitive. I know one of the initial things to decide is 12v vs 5v. I have read the pros and cons. I think the pros for 12v outweigh the 5v for a more simplistic point.

With that said, power consumption becomes the question. I recently had solar installed. On average right now, I am generating 4x of my consumption. In other words, I am giving power back to the grid with no real compensation. Therefore, I will not be paying for power from a display (assuming a display does not consume more than 20kWh per day).

If paying for power is not a concern, is 12v the way to go?

tooms

12v4life
I think 12v is easier for beginners, longer power runs, longer pixel runs etc, less or no power injection depending on how you set things up. 12v does consume more power however.

BigRedNole

New elf
Thanks for the info tooms. I think that is what I have gathered from all of my initial research. Since power consumption will not be an issue on the bank account, that is not an issue. Currently, I am producing about 12kWh over my consumption. I do not think an LED Christmas display could burn through that much power. I should be good.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Power consumption isn't the only side effect. You also need to factor in that you are going to need twice as many power supplies and there'll be twice as much current that can be an issue when you're running off 110V. 12V certainly is far more tolerant of voltage drop.

Romerio

New elf
Is there a way to have longer runs without power injection though?

I've often wondered why you can't (or if you can?) buy pixels with some large gauge wires running down the back of them, tapped back into the normal "3 wires" every 50 pixels or so. That's all my power injection is.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.