Hi from NZ

janabedford

New elf
Hi light experts!

I am new to this page and a bit Christmas obsessed (mum to 4 kids) and excited that we have recently moved in to a new house that is just begging for Christmas lights. 24m street frontage of a single level house with a front lawn. I would like to affix a large LED motif to the roof (5m x 2m), have attached picture of what i'm thinking. The roof is corrugated and I obviously want to avoid drilling holes! What is the best (and easiest) way to fix the light to the roof?

Are there any brands of Motif lights worth looking at? I've found it quite hard to find decent lights to purchase. The one i'm looking at is from GearZen.

Appreciate any helpful tips and advice you may have.

Cheers
Jana

ZXD43001K-W_800x800.jpeg

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Welcome to ACL @janabedford ,
I'm another Kiwi from up North in Auckland.
@Notenoughlights is down there is Christchurch along with a few others :).

I would like to affix a large LED motif to the roof (5m x 2m), have attached picture of what I'm thinking. The roof is corrugated and I obviously want to avoid drilling holes! What is the best (and easiest) way to fix the light to the roof?
Few ways people have shared on this forum.
Magnets if you don't mind spending $5 a fixing point.
Some have also removed the screws on their roof, added a hook underneath and screwed it back in.

Share a photo of your roof and we might be able to think of other ways :).
I'm thinking an option is to run straps over each side of the roof (assuming you are using light weight Bunnings/Mitre 10 lights).

i13

Dedicated elf
Welcome to the forum.

For the roof mounting, here are a couple of ideas:

orchidman33

Full time elf
Welcome to the forum Jana. You say the roof is corrgated iron. How is it held down , Nails or screwed ? If nailed the what i13 has linked

https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/12241/ , but use black cable ties and mounts (these are UV rated, the white ones are not ),if screwed than putting a hook under the screws would be a good idea

janabedford

New elf
Thanks all for your replies.

This is what I was wanting to install. https://gearzen.com.au/collections/...-edition-560x80cm-indoor-outdoor-display-sign

Do you think this is typically something that will fix well enough on a roof? I was thinking of installing it on the edge of the roof just above the gutter line, but after seeing the pictures of people installing it on the ridge, do you think that would be an easier option?

I have attached a picture of the roof.

Thanks
Jana

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

janabedford

New elf
Welcome to the forum Jana. You say the roof is corrgated iron. How is it held down , Nails or screwed ? If nailed the what i13 has linked

https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/12241/ , but use black cable ties and mounts (these are UV rated, the white ones are not ),if screwed than putting a hook under the screws would be a good idea
I havent actually been on the roof yet to have a look. Will check it out when its next dry. That thread youve shared looks great thanks. I just dont know if im handy enough to make the frames!

janabedford

New elf
Welcome to the forum.

For the roof mounting, here are a couple of ideas:
Do you think the roof ridge option is easier than the frames?

orchidman33

Full time elf
Going by your photo which shows the age (style ) of the house, I would say that it is nailed, most likely with lead head nails. The first row up from the spouting , will be about 300-400 mm from the edge.
In my opinion as the roof has a low pictch ,there is not a lot of roof visable so having the motifies lower down on the roof is more practical. If you put it up at the ridge- what can you put in front of it that can be seen.
The frames that are shown in the thread are made from what electricians call conduit, i would say 25mm. This is sold in 4m lengths and is grey plastic pipe.Also it is not expensive when purchased from electrical wholesalers.
From what I have heard, stay away from JA Russell if you are wanting to pay by EFT or do not have an account with them. (I am in the electrical wholesale trade)

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I would suggest Bunnings for Conduit, less than $5 for a 4m length and i've never had problems with it in the sun in the 2+ years it's been sitting on my roof.

Would you have the motif on the lean it shows in the image on the website, or flat along the roof? (but standing vertical so the lights can be seen)