1st SMD devices working

lytnin

Full time elf
So I ordered some parts from Ray, and I've now used my first ever SMD components and made up a small test of some 5050 RGB leds, same as Phil's 120 Channel curtain light demo that he will use on his mega-tree.

I'm using 12V for this test so that allowed for 4xRGB's in series with inline resistors. Controlled using a manual RGB Dimmer, also from Ray.

4 x 5050 SMD RGB Manual test

Now to figure out what I need to get it to work with PC control. ;)

lytnin

Full time elf
Ok, so I've now made a dozen strings with 10 SMD RGB's in each at 200mm spacing.

I put these to use in public at my wife's 50th last night hanging in front of the DJ deck.

The strings were folded in half and aligned to give 100mm spacing. This also meant the common +ve was also only 100mm from the switched -ve's. It also made a handy loop at the top to allow for easy hanging over thumb tacks.

A quick 10 minute construction of a 1 minute loop using LSP. This was connected through a USB DMX Pro dongle into a bank of 48SSR's. Thanks to Matt (kool-lites) for the use of your dongle and SSR's.

Some of our neighbours were there so they got a sneak peek of what's in store for this year.

The lights were a big hit amongst all our friends.

Here's a video of them in action.

100 x RGB SMD Led's in Action

lytnin

Full time elf
Cenote, No covers, just the Leds.

Alec, the DJ was me, but my other DJ mates that were there all now want them. :D

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Dave,

Nice work, glad to see the idea being used by more people.

Now all we need is audio to DMX or audio to pixel control, you could loose the software then for DJ work

Cheers
Phil