2.5 to 3M Ray tree

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Hi Guys:

Wondering if anyone has created a 10 - 12ft ray tree and how it looks? I am looking at building one next year and wanted the height to be roughly 1/2 a strip of the 5M strips from ray or 3M max.....I wanted to make it 12 strips wide for a 180 degree tree. Anyone have one around this dimension that I could see in action? Most everyone keeps it a full strip length and just wondering how a smaller one would look.
Thanks.

Robert

Apprentice elf
Here is a pic of my mighty tree. It's only 6 strips, 2.5M of flex strip, on 10ft, 3/4" PVC. The spacing at the top is 2", the bottom spacing is 12"

a4e2enu6.jpg

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
That looks very nice!
Do you have any video of it doing text and such?
Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Apprentice elf
Thanks:) I didn't use any txt on the tree. The spacing on the tree would null the effect, I believe. I'm just starting to delve into pixels and software(LSP), so i kept it simple this year, lots of macros,fades,chases. in hopes of wrapping my head around things. Which I think worked out well for me

Habbosrus

Back again
Yep, I have one that is 12 strips x 3mtr (I got Ray to cut & put pigtails on each of them) and it looks great. I have had trouble trying to get video but will try again this evening. I was going to try last night but I had a lot of cars coming by and I didn't want to get in there way.

abundy

Full time elf
Hey Robert, i like the effect.
1 question, is your "tree" semi circular at the bottom, like a half cone, or just flat 2D.

J

Robert

Apprentice elf
abundy said:
Hey Robert, i like the effect.
1 question, is your "tree" semi circular at the bottom, like a half cone, or just flat 2D.

J
Thanks,

It's a flat, 2D tree. I personally like it flat, better. I just added 6 more strips to the tree. Should be able to get some, really clean effects now.