2012 Project 4 - RGB Icicle Curtain

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
2012 Project 4 - RGB Icicle Curtain

Now this one has been brewing for a number of years and i keep promising myself i will do this with pixels one day but not this year for pixels.

What are we doing:
I have a very large number of already soldered 7 x 5050RGB led strings that I made back in 2009 that have been gathering dust, so i have pulled them out and we are putting two 7 count strings together but offset so we get around 85mm spacing on each vertical, this will give me two seperate control sections per vertical, sort of like a normal Big-W string of leds.
I have approximately 22M of gutter line to drape these from and plan on 90mm spacing between each vertical so we have around 250 odd to make up.

Each vertical string will have the 14 LEDS covered by the C7 covers from FH45 (finally going to use them), each cover is siliconed in place, with the silicon providing the waterproofing for each LED.

The plan is to attach these in groups of 20 onto a 1.8M long piece of 18mm Dowell thus giving a neat 90mm spacing, the dowell can quickly be hung up using hooks and will not bend under the weight like PVC would.

Each group of 20 verticals will need 120 channels and I will be building and using in my own display for the first time some Tiger120 ch boards, one per 1.8M section of lights.

Why:
Well one reason is i have the bits lying around, two is I love to say that elements were hand constructed and three...... well no real three :)

Cheers
Phil

Slite

Full time elf
Sounds really sweet.

And I'll most likely do something similar for 2013.... This year... I have WAY too much stuff too build already :)

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
AussiePhil said:
LOL - we always have way too much stuff to build

Phil

Agreed, weather it be upgrading existing gear or making new stuff. I'd love to have more time to do it, and more money to fund it...

Timon

Apprentice elf
Didn't you have a thread on those strings? I was looking for it a few weeks ago but couldn't find it. Do you have the link?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Timon said:
Didn't you have a thread on those strings? I was looking for it a few weeks ago but couldn't find it. Do you have the link?

I had a thread from the early days of the forum about how to solder the strings together, finding it since the restructure might take a little bit

Found the Thread on soldering them up
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,86.msg273.html#msg273

Found the thread that shows I guess the original version of this idea
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,114.msg445.html#msg445

Just add an extra set per vertical, the horizontal spacing looks about right

Cheers
Phil

Timon

Apprentice elf
Phil,

Thanks

Oh BTW, where did the Pokemon song come from? It was cute. A PM is fine, don't want to hijack the thread:)

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Timon said:
Phil,

Thanks

Oh BTW, where did the Pokemon song come from? It was cute. A PM is fine, don't want to hijack the thread:)
Thread hijacking.... would never happen around here :):):)

Pokemon and a few others I use are all done by an American Radio on air personality who also does Parody songs.......... now most are not suitable for general public airplay and I would suggest listening to each track on headphones first. If you are offended by political incorrectness then please don't even listen.
find out more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Rivers

Cheers
Phil