Melbourne/Vic 2018 Melbourne Mini - 2nd-3rd June 2018

Event details

Event date
Saturday, Jun 2, 2018 Sunday, Jun 3, 2018
Registration deadline
Monday, May 21, 2018
Maximum guests
Username Guest count Note
djgra79 djgra79 1 Spoiler content hidden.
B BallaratLights 1
M mccar 1
daunce daunce 1 Spoiler content hidden.
andrewa andrewa 1 Spoiler content hidden.
burnt burnt 1 Spoiler content hidden.
cdjazman cdjazman 1 Spoiler content hidden.
DavidJ247 DavidJ247 1 Spoiler content hidden.
gerry gerry 1 Spoiler content hidden.
AAH AAH 1 Spoiler content hidden.
Wendys Wendys 1
Eizziljam Eizziljam 2 Spoiler content hidden.
B Brett Greenland 2
battle79 battle79 1
B Bradbaker 1
Theo Giourtis Theo Giourtis 1 Spoiler content hidden.
Code Gray Code Gray 1
C chatzy 1
avelarde avelarde 1 Spoiler content hidden.
E ewanh 1 Spoiler content hidden.
abundy abundy 1 Spoiler content hidden.
A averagebloke 1 Spoiler content hidden.

Bradbaker

New elf
hey guys sorry to be a pain at such short notice but im not going to make it, somethings come up so ill have to try tune into the streaming instead, happy still to donate the $20 for the effort you guys go into making these events happen. so let me know who i can send $20 too. hope its a good weekend for all. :(

Eizziljam

I’m Christmas crazy!
I’ve been home sick all week so I’m really disappointed to say I won’t make it
We were really looking forward to learning how to start up.... maybe next year

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Day 1 done! Another great mini with lots to learn and a chance to meet like minded blinky enthusiasts, a big thanks to @djgra79 for organising the event, looking forward to day 2.
I was lucky enough to be the first name drawn in the raffle, just wanted to give a special thanks to @dpitts and @darylc for the generous door prize, it will be a fantastic addition to the display @NarreLights.
We are very lucky to have so many great vendors within our lighting community that support these events and I encourage all ACL members (if you're not already) to support these businesses; Falcon Christmas, Ray Wu (AliExpress), Boscoyo Studio, Hanson Electronics, xTreme Sequences, Pixel Pro Displays, SmartAlec Lights, Muswellbrook Mugs*.

@James70818 @AAH @bravado67 @SmartAlecLights @Fing

Xmas_Wanders

Outer Melb East, Vic
I totally agreed with ya David. It's totally worth it for all levels. There is so much to learn. Note to newbies, I'll definitely recommend attending these mini meets. I had been recommend to go couple years ago and finally did it and it's worth it. The things are always changing each year with new improvements each time.
Thank you to all vendors & ACL members supporting great event.

Even I was nervous as hell at first hour as I have got disability, which took awhile for some people get to use me. I'm sorry I didn't say much about my history with ACL & my display. I had been on and off with my Christmas displays and with ACL too. Finally moving along slowly with my progress of getting things done.
I can say I started my first display (when I was bit younger) by using 240v colour lights bulb 10set by Click. Then soon slowly bought stuff from Christmas shops, Kmart, Big W, Target stores to get some cool display to shown my passionate about Christmas & lights.

Thanks for DJgra79 having this year's event.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
THANKS TO ALL!!!
David has pretty much summed it up already but a huge thanks to everyone that could come along to this weekends mini, my first hosting.
I hope you enjoyed the weekend and got a bit out of it, I know I've certainly learned a few things and it was also great to put some faces to new names, and catchup with familiar faces again.
I'd like to thank all of our extremely generous sponsors for prizes, we had enough for 2 prizes for every attendee on Saturday (including our +1's!) and still enough for an extra 3rd prize for everyone attending Sunday.
Whilst I was host this year, I certainly couldn't have done it alone, and I'd like to thank @Xmas_Wanders for supplying a MUCH better projector and screen for today's session and for helping pack up, @AAH for assisting behind the scenes with some of the prep work, @keithsw1111 for Zoom assistance and his time on Saturday for an xLights session, and particularly to @burnt who did the shopping for catering, and helped me setup on Saturday and packup this evening (thanks also to @abundy for sticking around to help pack up too!)
I'm not sure what any videos of quality will come form the sessions but as soon as anything is worth sharing I will do so.
Merry Christmas to all :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Thanks to all the attendees at 2018 Melb mini.
Thanks to @djgra79 for doing the bulk of the setup with @burnt helping out as well.
Thanks to our presenters and the prize donors including @darylc , @dpitts, @David_AVD , Ray Wu, @TByrne, Boscoyo and @Fing.
Thanks especially from me to @Fing for my 2018 Melbourne mini mug. As soon as it came my time to pick a prize I dived on a mug as that above everything I wanted.
On top of all those people I would like to thank the developers of Xlights including @dpitts , @keithsw1111 , @dkulp , @smeighan and the many, many others who have made the hobby so much better. When polled yesterday all but 1 of the attendees was using Xlights. Previously it had been all but 1 but this time @battle79 had moved from Vixen to Xlights and we had 1 LOR user. Absolutely amazing group of people developing Xlights. Thankyou.

Oops. Stressful end to the weekend so I forgot a few mentions.
Thanks to @gerry and his lovely wife who fed and housed me Saturday night and for @abundy who rescued my laptop I left behind and allowed me to pick it up somewhat closer to home.

Still stressful
I'd also like to thank @Xmas_Wanders for supplying us with the projector and screen for day 2 which allowed for much better video presentations.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Thanks @djgra79 it was a great event. Learnt heaps... and once again added to the wish list.
Oh, and those 5V pixels with the random IC work well on an @AAH pixel tester :)
Which random protocol did you end up with? There was either 3 or 4 that I'd never heard of but Ryan and I kinda decided would possibly be 281x compatible.

daunce

Full time elf
Yes thanks @djgra79 and co. And everyone for the great info.

Was there links to the prizes? Just want to confirm details of protocols for the 3w spotlight and 100 node dumb pixels (black wire) i won.

ewanh

what goes here?
Which random protocol did you end up with? There was either 3 or 4 that I'd never heard of but Ryan and I kinda decided would possibly be 281x compatible.
umm, I need djgra's list and links to confirm.... might need a few more strings to match my plans... somehow i ended up purchasing another 30ch 2811 controller, so i have to fill that up....

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'm going to place the couple of presentations we had on this post for future reference (especially as we could barely see them Saturday... :) )

Attachments

• 2018 Hardware Melb Mini.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 2018 Music Melb Mini.pdf
    618.4 KB · Views: 6