27 channel dumb RGB Controller

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Holiday Coro updated their 27 channel controller to include a RJ-45 connector for DMX

What I am wondering is if I can use the ECG-D4 and connect a Cat 5 cable directly to the 27 channel controller with no special cable like with LOR

Thanks again

Vic

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
you are correct, it will be as simple as plugging a network cable from the controller to the D4.

bluzervic

So after last nights testing, things did not work like I figured
Here are the scenarios that worked and did not work
I firmly believe it is a matter of swapping pins 1 and 2

1. [j1sys D4] <> straight thru cat 5 <> 27 channel controller = DID NOT WORK

2. [j1sys D4] <> straight thru cat 5 <> LOR x-over <> 27 channel controller = DID NOT WORK

3. [diy Express DMX bridge / DMX Jumpers] <> straight thru cat 5 <> 27 channel controller = DID NOT WORK

4. [diy Express DMX bridge / DMX Jumpers] <> straight thru cat 5 <> LOR x-over <> 27 channel controller = DID NOT WORK

5. [diy Express DMX bridge / Renard Jumpers] <> straight thru cat 5 <> 27 channel controller = DID NOT WORK

6. [diy Express DMX bridge] <> (2x) LOR X-overs (to swap pins 1 and 2) <> 27 channel controller = DID NOT WORK

This did work and will probably be how I run it since the 2 devices are next to each other

1. [LOR 16 channel AC controller] <> LOR x-over cable <> 27 channel controller

What I will try tonight

1. [J1sys D4] <> (2x) LOR X-overs (to swap pins 1 and 2) <> 27 channel Controller

-Vic

mborg10

Michael Borg
This is a copy of yagoona lights settings for his d4
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63370705/mis/d4%20setting.PNG
What program are you using.
I ran a p12s which has the same outputs as the d4. I used a normal cat 5 cable the a crossove from david_avd then a normal cat 5 to controller and it worked.

randallr

New elf
I got some of their 'tiny pix' controllers. Ended up not needing them this year, but used one to test some WS2811 strings. I took a D2 that I used to test my 3-channel RGB controllers, and tried to test to the tiny pix controller. It would never see the DMX signal from the D2. I could plug it back into the Holiday Coro USB dongle, and it would lock right on. I could plug the D2 back into a 3-channel RGB, and it would. I tried different DMX addresses on each, but never got it to link. I was going to get a resistor and build a terminator and see if that would help, and also test it with my iDMX1000.

I

indudio

Umm, I don't think you can use a normal ethernet cable from the D4 to the board.

You need to have a ethernet cable modified for DMX. I have a D2 and use the ray wu boards. The cable from the computer to the D2 is normal ethernet, but the cable from D2 to Ray wu controller is an ethernet wired for DMX.

mborg10

Michael Borg
indudio said:
Umm, I don't think you can use a normal ethernet cable from the D4 to the board.

You need to have a ethernet cable modified for DMX. I have a D2 and use the ray wu boards. The cable from the computer to the D2 is normal ethernet, but the cable from D2 to Ray wu controller is an ethernet wired for DMX.

I used 2 standard ethernet cables and used this connector in between for the crossover
https://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/viewprod.php?catid=&productid=APC745

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I can't speak for how Holidaycoro have wired up there ray27 boards as we can't get them here but they should already be wired for DMX and therefore will only require a standard cat5 cable from a D4 directly to the 27ch board.

if you have a multimeter you can check this by setting the multimeter to the buzzer function when the 2 leads are shorted together. check that "D-" on the j12 pad goes to pin 2 on the cat5 cable ( you may have to cut off the other end of the cable to access the wires)
COM goes to pin 7
D+ goes to pin 1

If they are all ok then the controller is wired correctly for DMX from any DMX source except LOR dongles and will be able to use any straight thru cat5 cable.
RAY27%20J12%20CONFIG.jpg

Some reasons you may be haveing problems are.
1, your D4 isn't configured
2, you don't have a straight thru cat 5 cable you may have a cross over cable
3, your cable is faulty
4' you have switch 10 on the board turned on which puts the board into test output mode.

With that in mind do any of your lights work when connected to the board with no cat5 cable connected and switch 10 on?

bluzervic

got this working with a DIYLEDExpress DMX/E1.31 bridge with a standard Cat 5 Ethernet cable

for the LOR 24 channel DC controller a LOR/DMX crossover is needed

Will go back and test it with a J1sys D4 later next week

-Vic