2801 12VDC RGB Strip from Ray - Warning on Wire Connections

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I just thought i would raise this as in the past couple of days i have had reports of 3 seperate cases where people had bought the 2801 12vdc RGB strip from Ray Wu and had issues with getting the strip running.

It appears that this strip has been labelled incorrectly and has the data and clock signals mixed. In most cases the strip doesnt do anything and appears to be dead or could have some randomly lit sections staying on. Swapping over the data and clock signal on these strips will then make the strip work correctly with no damage.

So something to be aware of if you have or are getting any of this strip that the data and clock markings on the strip may be around the wrong way. Not a hard fix if you are aware of the issue.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
Very true, I mentioned this in chat when i received my first order of them. I have also informed Ray, and he already knew about it.

So far however, I havent had any issues with the strip other then as described above.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
One thing i should mention though, I have received two seperate orders of strips from Ray, and although i ordered the same ones, I actually got a slightly different strip. (reading the serial on the package) The main difference i saw was, One strip is IP67, whilst the other is only IP66 or 65.

If you are not happy with what you got Vs what you ordered, make sure you let Ray know immediately. I have noted that he has adjusted the IP rating on the strips page.

kane

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
I just thought i would raise this as in the past couple of days i have had reports of 3 seperate cases where people had bought the 2801 12vdc RGB strip from Ray Wu and had issues with getting the strip running.

It appears that this strip has been labelled incorrectly and has the data and clock signals mixed. In most cases the strip doesnt do anything and appears to be dead or could have some randomly lit sections staying on. Swapping over the data and clock signal on these strips will then make the strip work correctly with no damage.

So something to be aware of if you have or are getting any of this strip that the data and clock markings on the strip may be around the wrong way. Not a hard fix if you are aware of the issue.
Also, another issue with my last order of 45metres or so - he had 4-pin waterproof connectors connected to them for me, but they connected them the wrong way around (it's standard to have the male plug as the input and female as the output, but they were the other way around).

Combining this with the swapped Clock and Data wires made it very annoying to get working!