2801 pixel wiring

Ed Slonka Jr

New elf
Ok, just want to make sure I have the wiring correct. So I don't screw them up.

Looking at the picture this is what I see.

Black - 12v+
Clock - red
Data - green
Gnd(12v -) blue

Thanks for the help!
Ed

Attachments

• Pixel.JPG
    Pixel.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 44
G

GoofyGuy

do yourself a HUGE favor test 1 pixel on your controller before hooking a long strand. Dont make a long string and hope the wiring is correct. A test on 1 pixel can save you 170! The marking are often ok but that means they have a chance of being wrong. Why cook a string of pixels when it takes 1 minute to hook up 1 to make sure.

kane

Dedicated elf
GoofyGuy said:
do yourself a HUGE favor test 1 pixel on your controller before hooking a long strand. Dont make a long string and hope the wiring is correct. A test on 1 pixel can save you 170! The marking are often ok but that means they have a chance of being wrong. Why cook a string of pixels when it takes 1 minute to hook up 1 to make sure.
Yes, definately don't trust the markings - they're mostly correct, but I had 30+ 1.5m strips of 2801 strip lighting from Ray that had CLK and DAT labelled around the wrong way..

What made it very hard to work out is that he also provided these with 4-core waterproof connectors on each end, but they had hooked up the input to the output (we obviously expect the male connector to be connected to the input, but he had the female connected instead!)

That being said, I've never fried a whole string by incorrectly hooking them up - I've only ever had 1-2 pixels die..

Beefer

Apprentice elf
I had one string come with the wires changing half-way along! luckily it didn't blow them, but out the back of one pixel the wires were completely reversed....