2811 pixels compared to 5-LED C9 screw in bulbs

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Hey all,

I have been debating something in my head, thought I would seek the advise of the community. For years now, I have used the replacement bulb style C9 screw in bulbs (that contain 5 LEDs in them) as the lights I outline my roof ridges and edges with. I originally used single LED C7 stringers when LEDs first started to get popular 6 or so years ago and they weren't bright enough. When the C9's came out that could dim, I was all over 'em...

As I move my display to RGB (and since we moved into a very tall two story house) I have been considering switching out those bulbs to RGB pixels of some sort. I purchased some of Ray's C7 and C9 bulb covers. These things just don't seem bright enough... I guess I shouldn't be surprised, the C9 screw in bulbs draw 1W and the pixels are much less than that... so I'm curious to get some opinions or recommendations... I was thinking about using pixels spaced at 10cm or 15cm spacing instead of the 30cm spacing I currently use with the C9's...

Any other ideas or comments?

Thanks!

Beefer

Apprentice elf
I've just ordered a string of Ray's new technicolor pixels which come with their own C9 cover which screws in - once they arrive I'll report on brightness, spacing, and power injection requirements.. (unless someone already has some of these they can comment on?)

tom82

New elf
I use the non-pixel version (ie. dumb strings) of the C9s all over the roof and megatree. They are very good. See photos below. Yours should look the same but just be pixel-controllable. They have 75mm spacing. (about 3 inches) and look very bright.

7226440904_df9a1fe04b_c_d.jpg

8273980119_3f5e1c10e2_c_d.jpg

kane

Dedicated elf
Beefer said:
I've just ordered a string of Ray's new technicolor pixels which come with their own C9 cover which screws in - once they arrive I'll report on brightness, spacing, and power injection requirements.. (unless someone already has some of these they can comment on?)

These were designed by Zach (magii on this forum). Apparently some round covers (G20) are currently under production, which I'm looking forward to - I don't really like the look of the oval shaped bulbs.

Zach also mentioned that there will be a new version of the technicolor pixels that uses 5050 LEDs, and will allow 150 pixels per string.

ps - Tom - nice display, and great photo!

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Those look AWESOME!!

The only comment I have is that because of the style pixel you are using, you are able to get that LED way up in the middle of the bulb and it glows quite nicely. I was thinking of going with the flat style pixel (or the technicolor) and the pictures on Ray's site give the impression that the bulb is not as bright... I think that may be because the LED is located way at the base of the bulb cover...

Am I nuts?

Beefer

Apprentice elf
it may also because Ray's photos aren't taken in complete darkness, so the LEDs may appear duller than they really are when diffusing through the C9.

But yes, getting the LED up into the middle of the cover would be a key consideration to allow full brightness.