2811 Pixels really cheap but need support from pixel controllers.

Would you use 2811 intelligent pixels if there was support

• Yes

Votes: 60 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Dont care

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

kane

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
I believe also that offering the 2811 support will definetly be an advantage as the majority of us are stuck to strict budgets and the price of the 2811 allows for many more lights for many of us and this alone will make the difference in value when choosing a controller.
I've recently bought around 65m of the 2801 pixel strip - I wish I knew the 2811 strip was coming, would have saved $350-$400!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

kane

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
I found a thread over at DIYC which basically states that the 2811 will work as 1804, now if this is the case then support already looks like it may already be there.
read here http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?19654-WS2811-pixel-compatibility&highlight=2811

Now for anyone that has the 2811 and a P12R or a E68x, can they test this to confirm this to be the case
I've got a few strings of 2811 modules at home, so I'll test them out on an e681 and a pixAd8 - hopefully will get a chance to do this tonight.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
The 1804 and 2811 timings are different and as Matt points out over at diyc there is a slow and fast data rate support that could complicate things big time for real world use.

2811 should and in light of the two rates must have it's own discrete support, just setting i timing that close for both won't be good enough to ensure that it always works....

So even if your 2811 strings work on a 1804 protocol don't count on it working 100% of the time.

It is my opinion until we have proven dedicated support from both/all pixel controller people that buying into 2811 may be more of an issue than the money saved......

Actually the savings whilst real raise the question are these currently a lose leader item for the chinese or are we paying to much for 2801/3001/180x etc strings...... all of those strings can have identical parts counts with the only difference being the protocol IC and in some case 25% less wire. Now a 3001 and 2811 are both 3 wire so unless there's $1 a IC difference in the IC prince then the pricing of existing product is artificially high because we keep paying at that price.....

Cheers
Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
AussiePhil said:
Actually the savings whilst real raise the question are these currently a lose leader item for the chinese or are we paying to much for 2801/3001/180x etc strings...... all of those strings can have identical parts counts with the only difference being the protocol IC and in some case 25% less wire. Now a 3001 and 2811 are both 3 wire so unless there's $1 a IC difference in the IC prince then the pricing of existing product is artificially high because we keep paying at that price.....

Cheers
Phil

Ray has said that the 2811 IC is now being used by RITA lighting and the products with the 2811 are new products that will be available at any time.

The IC package looks a lot smaller than the traditional 2801 and the 6803

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
The actual IC's will be within cents of each other considering the sheer number of produced so pricing models are suspect.
I do believe existing product pricing (2801/3001 etc) is still were it is because we continue to pay those prices.

Phil

kane

Dedicated elf
I tested out a string of 20 2811 modules on both a pixad8 and an e681 tonight and it seemed to work perfectly for both

For the e681 I used tm1804 fast mode and for the pixad8 I used tm1804 at 2000mhz.

I even stuck the string of 2811 modules at the end of 1804 string to see if that would work and it all worked fine..

Cheers

Kane

G

GoofyGuy

Did you run a few sequences to see if there were any timing issues?

Kane said:
I tested out a string of 20 2811 modules on both a pixad8 and an e681 tonight and it seemed to work perfectly for both

For the e681 I used tm1804 fast mode and for the pixad8 I used tm1804 at 2000mhz.

I even stuck the string of 2811 modules at the end of 1804 string to see if that would work and it all worked fine..

Cheers

Kane

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
wbottomley said:
Now... we only need firmware support for the ECG-P12R and we'll be good to go (2811).

The firmware for the ECG-PIXAD8 is the same as the ECG-P12R, the main difference is the number of outputs. So based on Kanes test last night it looks like you only have to use the 1804 protocol which the ECG and the E68x series both have.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Kane said:

Cheers

Kane

Thanks for testing this Kane, any chance of a video showing this in action with many different effects to try and 'break' this.
Even though the data sheet shows some differences, it seems to physically work, so maybe some more testing maybe warranted to ensure the 1804 works without any glitches .

Again excellent work Kane.

kane

Dedicated elf
GoofyGuy said:

I ran some simple sequences but nothing too fancy. What sort of a sequence would make spotting timing issues evident?

I unfortunately won't get a chance to take a video until next week - damn ISP has stuffed up my adsl fast churn so I am without Internet at home for next few nights, then after that am away for a few days. (resorted to tapatalk from the iPad to post on here)

G

GoofyGuy

Something with a lot of chase or on/off then no update on those pixels for few seconds will show any hang ups. Its the update signal that Im wondering about if its misses a command how long will the pixel remain at its last state?

Kane said:
GoofyGuy said:

I ran some simple sequences but nothing too fancy. What sort of a sequence would make spotting timing issues evident?

I unfortunately won't get a chance to take a video until next week - damn ISP has stuffed up my adsl fast churn so I am without Internet at home for next few nights, then after that am away for a few days. (resorted to tapatalk from the iPad to post on here)

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Great to hear that they work but is it worth running it past Ed at J1sys to see if there may be any "below the surface" issues

mick8248

Full time elf
If the protocols are so close it probably wouldn't take much for Ed to tweak the 1804 to 2811, my 2811 strips should be here in the next couple of days so i'll see how well they perform with my p12r's