3 core, 18 AWG for power injection

Jon_101

Apprentice elf
Hi everyone, I'm using 3 core 18 awg for power injection, should I join the third wire with the ground or with (+12)? Thanks.

i13

Dedicated elf
I disagree. If your cable has three cores and you only need a positive and negative, doubling either should help. This is because voltage drop happens over distances. I generally suggest doubling the negative if you can't double both. If this cable is between the controller and first pixel or if the controller and injection point use the same power supply, the negative will carry slightly more current than the positive. This is because it is used as a reference for the data signal. In addition to this, it is generally more practical to fuse the positive compared to the negative. Fusing would be simpler if you only need to fuse a single wire.

Jon_101

Apprentice elf
I disagree. If your cable has three cores and you only need a positive and negative, doubling either should help. This is because voltage drop happens over distances. I generally suggest doubling the negative if you can't double both. If this cable is between the controller and first pixel or if the controller and injection point use the same power supply, the negative will carry slightly more current than the positive. This is because it is used as a reference for the data signal. In addition to this, it is generally more practical to fuse the positive compared to the negative. Fusing would be simpler if you only need to fuse a single wire.

Thank you for your response, was thinking the same but just wanted to clarify.

i13

Dedicated elf
Maybe I shouldn't have said that I disagree outright. I'm interested to know why Katekate says not to double the wires. The only reason that I can think of for not doubling the negative is that it creates a negative loop. This might cause flicker but I'm not sure whether the pixels need to be within the loop for this to be a problem. Regardless, the chances of causing flicker are so small that the benefit of doubling the wire should outweigh the risk.

i13

Dedicated elf
I actually didn't think of the reduced voltage drop in the negative providing a better reference but yes, I completely agree. My thinking was that because the negative is used as a reference, it completes the circuit for the small amount of current that flows through the data wire. The negative should therefore carry slightly more current and have a little bit more voltage drop than the positive.

On the topic of doubling wires, the wire that should never be doubled is the data wire.

Jon_101

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the reply, as you said no doubling wires on data OUTPUT.