32X150 Mega tree

Pyball99

New elf
Building a mega tree. 32 strings of 150 pixels. Using a Falcon F16v3 and a expansion board. Trying to figure out power supply issue and not sure if my calculations are correct or if there is a better way to wire this.
The Falcon board will take 2 power supplies and has 16 outputs with 5amp fuses. Same for the expansion board. This gives me 32 outputs with 5amp fuses.
150 pixels at full power .06 multiplied by 150 pixels would be 9amps, over running the 5 amp fuses but if I ran at 30% power I believe I would be at 4amps or less on each fuse.
The general concinsuse I am getting is that everyone is running there mega tress at approximately 30% power.
So my question is would this work or am I looking at it wrong or is there a better way?

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Yep seems logical

Just always do your own real life current test on the string of pixels just to double check their current draw.

One thing to be careful off when relying on pixel controllers to limit brightness etc if you loose a data signal on a output from dodgy connection or something else the string of pixels can go full white at 100%

Also keep in mind each input on your Falcon Boards are max 30 amps from memory

Pyball99

New elf
Yep seems logical

Just always do your own real life current test on the string of pixels just to double check their current draw.

One thing to be careful off when relying on pixel controllers to limit brightness etc if you loose a data signal on a output from dodgy connection or something else the string of pixels can go full white at 100%

Also keep in mind each input on your Falcon Boards are max 30 amps from memory

Yes 30 amps max input but with two inputs on each board I am hoping that it will cover everything. I wish they'd build the boards to carry more amps since they'll work for a lot more pixels. Not hearing much from people as I am sure someone has built a tree similar or even like this before and I was hoping to draw from there experience. I agree though guess I will just have to build it and power it up and see if it works or smokes... Thank You for your input.

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
A few have used a similar approach for their Mega Trees with your Expansion board idea

I use a similar method for our Mega Tree but ours is only 32 strings of 85 pixels

Lots of other people also just use a Falcon F16 (or similar controller) without the expansion board and power inject also

Lots of various options to achieve the same outcomes really