36CH DMX Controller

Andy247

New elf
Hi gurus,

Question i have is can I connect this DMX controller up to the serial 1 port on my F16v3 and how does one go about setting protocol and channels in xlights for singing faces???? I have 4 x singing faces with 8 x dumb 24v strings for each face, so 32 channels in total.

Thanks all......

Attachments

• 20191229_094328.jpg
    20191229_094328.jpg
    947.8 KB · Views: 35

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
It will setting 36ch of DMX in order from the start channel. Say face 1 outline on channel 1, face 1 mouth on channel 2, etc.
Those buttons and screen will set the start channel, you'll probably use ch 1.
xLights will have it set up as the model references to the DMX channel.
There's a guide on the Falcon F16v3 manual for wiring pin out of the DMX.

I'd ask nicely for all the setup information you'd need and someone could help you on Zoom.

Andy247

New elf
It will setting 36ch of DMX in order from the start channel. Say face 1 outline on channel 1, face 1 mouth on channel 2, etc.
Those buttons and screen will set the start channel, you'll probably use ch 1.
xLights will have it set up as the model references to the DMX channel.
There's a guide on the Falcon F16v3 manual for wiring pin out of the DMX.

I'd ask nicely for all the setup information you'd need and someone could help you on Zoom.
Thanks, would setting the jumper on the falcon board to DMX for serial port 1 set the wiring configuration correctly? I will do some more research. Don't want to harm anything....

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Thanks, would setting the jumper on the falcon board to DMX for serial port 1 set the wiring configuration correctly? I will do some more research. Don't want to harm anything....
Serial port one will not work as it doesn't have a ground connection.
Refer to this video on making a cable and getting it setup.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l29-NUje9o&ab_channel=CanispaterChristmasakaJeff

Information about the sliders given is a little different for you. In Jeff's example each slider controls a operation of the moving head disco light he has. For you it will be an output per slider. So sliders 1-36 will represent outputs 1-36 on the device.

Andy247

New elf
Serial port one will not work as it doesn't have a ground connection.
Refer to this video on making a cable and getting it setup.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l29-NUje9o&ab_channel=CanispaterChristmasakaJeff

Information about the sliders given is a little different for you. In Jeff's example each slider controls a operation of the moving head disco light he has. For you it will be an output per slider. So sliders 1-36 will represent outputs 1-36 on the device.

Thanks Mark, my DMX controller has an ethernet input as well as DMX cable. I assume I can use the ethernet port as input? I will just need to make sure the controller is set to receive channel 1 data first, output from xlights is channel 1 and falcon board serial port 2 is correct universe and channel.
I have made up custom models in xlights for my props with the 8 individual light strings for each prop. Will try it out today and see if I can get it to work.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I assume I can use the ethernet port as input?
That's likely DMX only, don't plug it into the Falcon's silver Ethernet ports.
I would also be cautious that the DMX controllers Ethernet port has the same pin out as the Falcon's one. Reversing the Data +, - and/or ground makes things go crazy (especially when it's a fog machine connected via DMX!)

Andy247

New elf
That's likely DMX only, don't plug it into the Falcon's silver Ethernet ports.
I would also be cautious that the DMX controllers Ethernet port has the same pin out as the Falcon's one. Reversing the Data +, - and/or ground makes things go crazy (especially when it's a fog machine connected via DMX!)
Yeah, only the black plastic ports on the F16. I cannot find any info on the ethernet input for this controller.

Andy247

New elf
Yeah, only the black plastic ports on the F16. I cannot find any info on the ethernet input for this controller.
Just confirmed that DMX ethernet port wiring on F16 is same as DMX ethernet input port on DMX controller. Hope all goes well in test.

Andy247

New elf
How would one set up the controller in xlights? I assume I would use an ethernet controller as its connected to serial port 2 on F16, and multicast as I cannot set an IP of the DMX board. Do i set it up as 1 universe of 512 channels, or 1 universe of 36 channels?
Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Andy247

New elf
I was waiting to see a reply on how to do it, as I'm looking at using a few longs length of 2 wire led's with a dmx2-18 card off of my f16
I was trying to create a new controller in xLights for the DMX card which was not working. What I did was put the DMX props on the last universe of the F16, start channel 1, then set up the serial output 2 to start on that universe channel 1. Just make sure the pin outs of DMX port 2 are the same as DMX inputs on your card and you should be good to go.