3840 RGB Pixel Screen information (11520 DMX channels)

thebaronn

New elf
Hello
This is my first post here and it is for CopperCreekLights!
Some one asked me a question about my display on auschristmaslighting and I was thinking "I don't have an account there??" Then I searched and saw that a member needed more information, so here it is! I may have answered his questions incorrectly, or not at all and wanted to make it right!
This year we has a 48X80 RGB Pixel Screen running point on our show. As much as I was jealous of the screen vs my Ultimate Mega Tree I have come to embrace the screen.
Here are some pictures, you do not have to be logged in to view them:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.513802198651185.121228.323555271009213&type=3

1. Sandwich 5 4'X8' pieces of Corrugated Plastic with a sheet of 4'X8' 1" pegboard on top.
2. Place the pegboard in such a way that all 48 holes can be drilled into the Coro with the last hole as close to the bottom as possible
(To leave room at the top to attach it to the house)
3. Drill holes all the way through every other hole (2" spacing) Use a high quality drillbit that is sharp so yu don't have to clean the holes. Drill a 48X16 Grid
Now, I chose this number because I could use 16 pixel strings from Ray Wu with 48 pixels in each string with a power supply at the E682 bard (no power injected
down the line) and it was easy to create the matix in LightShowPro.
4. Then, cut the grid from the rest of the Coro (the original sheets are 48"X96", new dimensions are 32"X96"
5. Sandwich the top of the panel between 2 1'X2' boards. I predrilled the 3 holes and then used the coated Drywall screws with a washer on the head to secure them
6. I started in the middle, I clamped the panel to the roof and when it was level I drilled 2 holes all the way through and attached the panel with bolts. Then did the same
for the other 4 panels.
7. The easy part was done! The hardest and most painful part was pressing the pixels through the coro.

I used the flat WS2811 pixels from Ray Wu. I ordered 4 types of pixels from Ray back in July. My and my wife looked at each pixel. While the TS3001 has more levels of color, the Ws2811 were at least twice as bright, that was the selling point (some members on the DIY forum have disagreed with me on this point, but too late now). As you can see, they are really bright www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukASk78uJto These are the pixels: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/WS2811-LED-pixel-node-DC5V-input-full-color-RGB-string-50pcs-a-string-IP68-rated/701799_581805567.html Ray made custom 5" spacing for me. I do not like the cylindrical pixels. The cyllindrical pixels were easily pulled out of the coro (even just by brushing against it or wind moving the panel). And I only have 200 pixels of cyllidrical type and I have pulled the wires on 3 of them apart. I have yet to pull apart a flat pixel and I have much more of those. Also, It is easier to do a visual check on the pixel to make sure they are sealed correctly, or at least appear to be.

I have to give a lot of the credit to Jim at Sandevices. I was originally creating a santa house: http://www.lightshowpro.com/lightshow-support/2583-lightshow-pro-work-ccpixel-santa-house.html But when I went to him with E681 questions he asked why I was limiting myself to that particular shape. (of course I did purchase 4 more boards......) He showed me pictures of his lights and I was hooked. At the time he was using the pixels to display pictures. I figured that if I was going to do this I wanted video! It actually played an important part in the Live Halloween Show Generator Rex: The Death of Rex Salazar, Halloween 2012 at the happyholidayhome

Each panel is controlled by one E682 board. I do not come close to maxing out the number of channels in each board, but I wanted something easy. I could move each panel individually and it could be its own panel somewhere in the landscape.
All Boards are run through 1 8port router. No internet traffic, wifi is only enabled so I could control the lights from my iphone.
Hope this helps.
Eric

Gilrock

Full time elf
Hey Eric,
Thanks for the info. I originally had asked about the led type you had used over on the LOR forum. But I did already find out all the info about your matrix because I saw your nice post on the LightShowPro forum. I really want to build one but I might need to tackle it next year with all the other changes I already have planned.
Thanks,
Gil

z_special

Full time elf
Hi Eric, I had sent you a pm thru the LSP forum and was awaiting a email. I will have to PM you a few questions when it comes time as I am just figuring how big I want to make a pixel screen. Thanks

Zane

thebaronn

New elf
If I don't answer send me another email, sometimes I am forgetful.
First time I have built anything that more than 1 person was interested in!!!!

924aussie

Full time elf
thebaronn said:
If I don't answer send me another email, sometimes I am forgetful.
First time I have built anything that more than 1 person was interested in!!!!

I want I want :D

thebaronn

New elf
Yes, I used LightShowPro to create the sequences and ultimately used S3 to run the show. I will be looking into flights if LSP doesn't get their scheduler in order.

thebaronn

New elf
I have to decide on the video to use and then export it from my video editing software using the divx codec. Then wherever I want to display that video in the song I select the area. So if the video is 30sec and I want it to start at 1:52 in the song I have to select the time from 1:52-2:22. The I select the video and import it. It will ask how many frames? #fps X sec is the total number of frames. Right now LSP has a limit of 500 frames. So if you use 15fps you can't go over 33sec. But if you go lower you go with lower fps you can use a longer clip. It will use that the video and creat the number of frames and then insert the timings and the effects on the channels that correspond to the pixel and the video. LSP only deals with frames do you can stretch a 30sec clip to 40 sec or shrink it to 15sec. It only cares about frames.

Hope that explains it and doesn't make it worse.
Eric

924aussie

Full time elf
No that makes sense, can I make the screens bigger as in you are using 5 screens next to each other can more be added ? Say 5 screens to have video running and then when I want text to run use another two screens and run it acroos the seven screens ?