"3D" in Xlights..

multicast

Senior elf
I have a challenge..

I have 33 "Posts" that i want to decorate. the portion of the post i want to decorate is approx 2700mm tall, and 300 x 300 square. I intend to put a short string of pixels down the center of each side of the post.

The Posts, are roughly aligned in two "sections", one being 7 x 3 posts, and one being 3 x 4 posts. Together they are an L shape.

How would you go about modeling this in Xlights? There is no view perspective where you can see all the lights in one go...

This is a question for the Xlights big-guns.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Hey multi maybe a picture of the area may help the big guns . Im also interested in the outcome as I may have a similar scenario this year . Im sorry I cant help mate

multicast

Senior elf
Attached is a rough sketch of what the posts might look like. the little grid in teh lower corner is roughly a plan view.. ( posts are about 6meters apart )

No issues with how to drive the pixels, control them etc. Just struggling to know how to visualise this, and sequence it.

Attachments

• posts.pdf
    157.2 KB · Views: 52

arw01

Full time elf
You put one section in a photo above the other section in the photo.
You merge them in photoshop one over the other.

Then you make your models in "layers" anyway you want to manipulate them.

Since you can have so many layers you can just stack up the layers offset to make the effects move from the back or side to side.

There are other programs out there more suited to 3d control of pixels, just not in our hobby forums, hit up dj's and such and see what they are using in the clubs besides Madrix.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
As you can't see more than 2 sides of a given post it pretty much makes sense to ignore 2 sides of each post and just have them mirroring the effect that is on the side directly opposite it. This should be possible to do at the controller level I would imagine.

multicast

Senior elf
AAH said:
As you can't see more than 2 sides of a given post it pretty much makes sense to ignore 2 sides of each post and just have them mirroring the effect that is on the side directly opposite it. This should be possible to do at the controller level I would imagine.

controller in this case is xlights.

did you mean device?

the idea of mirroring the opposite face is not a bad one.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Could you set them up as 360 degree mega trees with 4 strings per tree. They would look tapered in the preview but that wouldn't really matter.

Gilrock

Full time elf
I'd just model each post as a flat matrix. Are you worried about trying to do color sweeps from front to back and side to side? I could do it. You just need a second set of what I call proxy models and order them across the screen in your front back order. Then create a model group with them. And another model group with the side to side models. Then you can choose which group to drop an effect on based on whether you want it to go front to back or side to side. Heck you could even create another arrangement in more of a top view layout and then do shockwave type effects that will look like it's exploding from the center out. It just takes some creative thinking. If we ever add multiple layout views it would help do this.