3D printable Thermal vent and fan mount lock ring

videoman3857

Full time elf
Ok Guys, One of the members from FB "3D Printing For Christmas Light Enthusiast Group".
has created a thermal vent and Fan mount Lock ring.
Here are the sti files to create your own
According to this Kiwi member, ABS costs about $ 2 to manufacture and PLA about $1.30

This unit suits 60mm fans

Attachments

• vent and Ring.jpg
    vent and Ring.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 49
  • vent ring v5 final.stl
    81.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Vent v6 with grill final.stl
    222.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

logandc99

Dedicated elf
The $ is what Simplify3d estimates the cost to be when you put in how much a kilo of filament costs. I guess another method is to check the weight of the item once printed and see what % of 1kg it weighs (might just do that also).
Of course that's assuming we ignore the cost of buying the printer (which is totally offset by the fun factor of 3d printing), and the electricity used :)

scamper

Dedicated elf
The $ is what Simplify3d estimates the cost to be when you put in how much a kilo of filament costs. I guess another method is to check the weight of the item once printed and see what % of 1kg it weighs (might just do that also).
Of course that's assuming we ignore the cost of buying the printer (which is totally offset by the fun factor of 3d printing), and the electricity used :)
Exactly what I do :) I am printing so much stuff and just keep forking out the money for filament without batting an eye, but ask me to pay a couple of bucks for a vent and I'd tell you where to go ;-)

richardd

Full time elf
I printer two last light I know some member here sells stuff like that, but for the price, I'll give it a go. I also have a few spools that only have a small amount of filament on them so I will use the leftover from my snowflakes. Going to start to use petg for my future snowflakes.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Good idea. I designed and printed my own, but in ABS as you can vapor smooth them. Vapor smoothing does more than just makes things look better - it actually helps seal the tiny gaps in the surface where water could slowly get in, and as mine all sit out in the yard, this is important to me. Mine dont screw on as I needed the fan to be at different angles, so they are designed to be glued, siliconed or plastic welded in place

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2433233

Daniel1973

Full time elf
Ok Guys, One of the members from FB "3D Printing For Christmas Light Enthusiast Group".
has created a thermal vent and Fan mount Lock ring.
Here are the sti files to create your own
According to this Kiwi member, ABS costs about $ 2 to manufacture and PLA about $1.30

This unit suits 60mm fans

My first try, not bad.

60mm vent 1.jpg 60mm vent 2.jpg

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I just weighed one of the vents with screw ring and as I get my PLA for $28/kg by finished weight calculation it costs $1.12 per print for PLA.
My ABS cost me $40/kg when I bought it, in ABS the cost works out to $1.60.
For the rubber seal I went to Pararubber and bought a couple of meters of thin rubber tubing, cut it to size and glued the ends together with a superglue that indicated it has a rubber component to it.

Attachments

• IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 11