3D Printed Snowflake design

richardd

Full time elf
No they are not on Thingiverse, but I have contacted the creator of the snowflake and he has given me permission to post the files here. I will post them tonight.

Edit I just saw lithgowlights post and the snowflake I made was not on Thingiverse, the creator of the one I printed doesn't want it there as the does not want non hobbyist printing it at selling for a profit.

Richard

Last edited:

ElSalZi

Full time elf
So, Richard, how much does yours end up costing?
Lightgowlights is $8 (per piece or per whole star?)

richardd

Full time elf
Maybe 10-15 dollars The star I found is a lot thicker than Lightgowlights. I'm too new to 3D printing to judge cost

I have attached the STL files. You will need to print 6 arms

Attachments

• Snowflake3D.zip
    509.8 KB · Views: 39

Daniel1973

Full time elf
Maybe 10-15 dollars The star I found is a lot thicker than Lightgowlights. I'm too new to 3D printing to judge cost

Thanks for the STL, what settings did you use, mainly infill and layer height?.

Also I use Simplified 3D and that will provide a cost per print, for those interested

richardd

Full time elf
Logandc99, Better late than never. Hope Santa brought you lots of filament too...

Daniel I too upgraded to simplified 3D, I was wonder where does it get its base cost from?

Daniel1973

Full time elf
Logandc99, Better late than never. Hope Santa brought you lots of filament too...

Daniel I too upgraded to simplified 3D, I was wonder where does it get its base cost from?
It is in one of the settings, When I get home tonight I will look and identify where.

logandc99

Dedicated elf

I am currently playing around with modifications to the original snowflake STL file to be able to print a version that can be done on a 200mm print bed (the original STL files are for a 300mmm print bed and using PLA).
I've been testing using ABS but found there was shrinkage going on meaning the bullet pixels wouldn't pop into the holes. Had to increase the X and Y dimensions to 105% to make the holes bigger. However, I have some PLA and PETG filament winging it's way to me and will test prints on those two next.

Daniel1973

Full time elf
filament cost.jpg

Cost per print calculated for simplified 3d (One are reduced to fir 200*200 XYZ Davinci)

Build time: 9 hours 15 minutes
Filament length: 27248.1 mm
Plastic weight: 81.92 g (0.18 lb)
Material cost: 3.77

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I am currently playing around with modifications to the original snowflake STL file to be able to print a version that can be done on a 200mm print bed (the original STL files are for a 300mmm print bed and using PLA).
I've been testing using ABS but found there was shrinkage going on meaning the bullet pixels wouldn't pop into the holes. Had to increase the X and Y dimensions to 105% to make the holes bigger. However, I have some PLA and PETG filament winging it's way to me and will test prints on those two next.

Here is the snowflake from the designer that Richardd posted up earlier which I chopped the STL file around a bit to allow someone with a 200mm print bed (i.e.me) to print.
The first has an extra section to make the arms longer for a measurement of 70cm across whilst the version without the extra section gives a snowflake 55cm across. This is natural PLA. (and by the way, this 3D printing is addictive. I know have the CLAP AND the C3DPAP :thumbsup:)
Snowflake200mm.jpg Snowflake200mmb.jpg

Attachments

• Snowflake200mm.jpg
    Snowflake200mm.jpg
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 17

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Here are the STL files. They have the 105% in the name because I found I had to enlarge the original models to 105% so that the bullet pixels nicely clicked into place.

By the way please don't post up on other sites like Thingiverse - as per the wishes of the original designer as he wanted this design for the christmas light community and not for some random to grab and sell.

Attachments

• Snowflake3dArm200mm105%.stl
    265.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Snowflake3dArm200mmmid105%.stl
    188 KB · Views: 16
  • SnowflakeCentralhub200mm105%.stl
    357.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator: