3d printer question

Discussion in 'Corrugated Plastic (Coro) & 3D Printing' started by scamper, Aug 21, 2016.

1. scamper

scamper Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    I am looking at buying a 3d printer and although i like getting quality, my budget will not accommodate.
    I have read many posts on here about what to do as a noob, but as these things are improving all the time as technology improves, I am left with a few questions.
    1. How important is bed levelling, ie after you do it once, do you have to keep doing it. Reason, i have seen a couple of printers,
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Updated-Big-size-220-220-240mm-High-Quality-Precision-Reprap-Prusa-i3-DIY-3d-Printer-kit/32604869871.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.49.FIAEJg
    The newer one does not have auto levelling, but the older one does.
    2. what is the most common file type used for these?

I don't mind that it is a self build and I understand that a box for it is advantageous and I can build that.
    Any advise would be appreciated.

2. ԆцряєсϮ

ԆцряєсϮ Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    Bed leveling is very important, it needs to be done before each print to get anywhere near decent prints.
    I built a variant of the I3 and the first mod I did was auto bed leveling.
    Repraps print gcode files but how you get there is entirely up to what software you use for modelling and slicing.
    I use openScad and FreeCad for modelling and Repetier-Host (cura) for slicing

3. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Bed levelling is critical to the outcome of your prints, too high and it may not stick to the surface and then create a plastic mess, too low and it may be very difficult to remove from the print bed to the point that you can cause damage with the forces needed to remove it.

I don't re-level mine until I start to see an issue and may get more than 10 to 15 prints before needing to level again.
    Re-levelling is a straight forward process with the Dreamer

I find a heated bed is important if you plan to do ABS as without a heated bed I have had issues with adhesion to the bed

4. OP
    OP
    scamper

scamper Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    Talk about procrastinate! I was just looking through 3d printing posts to learn as much as I could, because I have just ordered a 3d printer.
    It was 12 months ago that I asked this question.
    In that time I have looked at many and varied printers and watched videos on you tube and finally made a decision.
    I ordered an anet a6 from gearbest. It should be here in the next week or so.
    I will lmao if it arrives on the 21st :D

Boof63 and djgra79 like this.