3D printing with magnets within print

fugley

Apprentice elf
probably not a new idea but one i thought id try after noticing hot glue just wasn't cutting it conduit clips and magnets on some roof line

pretty simple idea really
draw up your clip / holder you want
add a clear pocket within for the magnet to be placed in
check on cure or what ever software your using for the layer height it will place the first layer above that pocket
pause at this layer
insert magnet and resume printing

was surprised even with printing at a crappy .32 layer height for testing and having 2 layers under the magnet it never really lost that mush strength at all

IMG_2473.jpgIMG_2474.jpg

aaronjamesdj

New elf
great idea!
I have 10mm cable clips, super glued to magnets and use zip ties to hold what ever in place
magnets are a great and easy way to go

silver_ice

New elf
This is a neat idea and scales nicely if you batch them up. That said, grab yourself a tube of something from Soudal (I use the T-Rex Grip or something) - a better adhesive than hotglue should have you sorted, I dont have an issue with glued in magnets in the outback over summer

fugley

Apprentice elf
my biggest problem is ive got a pressed tin tile roof which unless walking on in the right spot you'll end up damaging pretty bad
so Ive left all roof lines up for the last couple of years (lucky ive been able to plug them in with know problems)

so the thought was to make a horse shoe shaped mount that would sit over the ridge of the roof line with a magnet in bedded each side

in most part the roof line have stayed in place apart from one area that gets hit bad by a NW wind and anyone knowing what a NW wind is like in the south island of NZ will understand

this Dec was pretty mild but Feb & March will only bring worse
wind.jpg

silver_ice

New elf