5050 Pixel Nodes from Onumen

dmoore

Senior elf
Ray sent me a nice little PDF that I though I'd share with you guys. It's has some real interesting data in it. First, the pixel nodes I'm talking about are here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-342765392/5050-RGB-pixel-led-module-2801IC-256level-scale-DC5V-input-0-3W.html

The onumen part number is OM-FCCM-V2 (http://www.onumen.com/products_detail.aspx?ID=80&b_id=1&c_id=5&pid=216). It's just like the 8mm LED pixel nodes but instead it has a 5050 SMD chip. According to the document, it's amost 50% brigher than the 8mm nodes. The really interesting information is that they show a sample of it after it has been immersed in salt-water and it, according to them, seems to be unaffected.

Anyone?

Attachments

• Parameter & Quotation of Pixel LED Module Light EN.pdf
    323.1 KB · Views: 23

Wombat

Full time elf
same one he sent me and Phil as well.

I have been asking him about the UV rating for the pixels but he has not been able to tell me as yet

mrpackethead

Full time elf
As it happens i have a string of these leds, from "onumen".. I say it in quotes becuase they dont' actually have a factory and are rebadging stuff that others are making..

The 50% brighter thing is sort of true, as long as you are on access to them. off access ( say more than 30degress ) you can't see much light at all. where as the strawhats have wider view, at lower light levels..

They are not waterproof, and suffer from water ingress, just like the majority of pixels do, they are made with the injection moulded plastic method, which means the plastic never bonds properly to the wires... Yes you probably could stick them in salt water for a few minutes.. most of them do survive.

One up for them, i suspect that the cable is uv stable, however i have not subjected them to extended test.. Theres a different look and feel to the cable.

NB, i picked these ones up from they guys at Onumen at the led trade show in china in March. So these woudl have been their "best" ones as well..

Attachments

• P1010614.png
    P1010614.png
    375.5 KB · Views: 39
  • P1010613.png
    P1010613.png
    452.1 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010614.png
    P1010614.png
    375.5 KB · Views: 21

Wombat

Full time elf
Dear Ian,

How are you, very sorry to contact you so late.
Here is the email I got from Ray

I found a new factory which make the UV 2801 pixel and the 5050 SMD pixel module, please check attached file, thanks.

About the UV rating, it seems no one know it, I contacted many many engineers, they said they have no idea about it, it is so strange, I will go on working on this quesiton.

Have a nice weekend!

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Andrew

The back looks like all the injection molded ones with even less than i have seen some i have, the wiring on those looks like the "normal" non UV stuff.

Thanks for the photos.

Phil

riri7707

Full time elf
A

Hi,
Even if Onumen doesn't manufacture anything??? I have some doubt here as their catalog is quite impressive.
Maybe today they changed their policy

The fact is they have a lot of devices, including controllers who decodes most of the protocols and specially one (MC-2100)who can manage 8 outputs, Ethernet connection with 4096 DMX commands, SD card embedded and the possibility to manage 8192 LPD 6803/D705 and 4096 WS 2801... The software to drive that is quite basic and standard for all their controllers...
The most impressive is the full capacity to manage (chaining the controllers) up to 130 000 pixels...
Not to bad...
All that for 155$

I had a good contact with their support and their sales who sent me all necessary, very fast : software, docs, training video for their software... Finally, i redirect them to RAY, as the shipment costs are less expensive and PAYPAL, instead TT (Onumen). Ray begins to down his shipment costs now.... :)
Onumen is interesting for qty only... Ray takes only small margin from PL. 8)

Henri

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Well got some samples turn up today.

I so want to like these but can't quite make my mind up.

As MPH's photos show they are made with the soft plastic that doesn't quite stick to everything.

They do however work really well lighting up the C9 covers...

The spacing is 100mm (110mm stretched) versus around 85mm for all the others i have got.

They will have the waterproofing issues previously identified but not insurmountable.

They are also brighter

Attachments

• IMG_0067.png
    IMG_0067.png
    750.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0070.png
    IMG_0070.png
    974.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0071.png
    IMG_0071.png
    814.4 KB · Views: 30

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Henry

interestingly that one was heat gunned on, found the heat gun would shrink the plastic on the cover, not something i would do for 1000's of them

Phil

dmoore

Senior elf
Maybe we should hit up LEDWalker for these pixel node strings... They already know how to make water proof strings for another vendor. :)