50pcs full color ball type led pixel module

mborg10

Michael Borg
I don't know if these are a new item but I haven't seen too many of this style around

50pcs full color ball type led pixel module,DC12V input,3pcs 5050 RGB+WS2811 IC;with dmx convertor and power supply
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/50pcs-full-color-ball-type-led-pixel-module-DC12V-input-3pcs-5050-RGB-WS2811-IC-with/701799_683737130.html

Last year was my first musical year and this year I am starting early on the research to upgrade to pixel RGB. First project is upgrading my 6m mega tree to a pizel display. I like the look of these lights as they have the 360 viewing direction.

I'm looking at these lights minus the controller and minus the power source and would purchase seperately. I have emailed Ray Wu to see if that is possible.

Ok here are my questions.
1. All the lengths I have seen for this product are 15m. Does anyknow if you can get them in 6m lengths but with the 50pcs

2. Each string uses 3 dmx channels, so if I wanted a mega tree with 27 6m strings I would need to purchase 3 off these
Easy DMX LED controller;dmx decoder& driver
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Easy-DMX-LED-controller-dmx-decoder-driver/701799_378111925.html

3. the pixel ball is 50mm diamter.
power supply is : 12V/60W
input voltage: DC12V
max current: 50ma
power: 0.6W

each pixel ball with a WS2811 IC inside,and with 3pcs 5050 smd rgb led(0.72W)

if my maths is correct
0.72w x 50 pcs = 36w per string. 9 strings per controller = 324w power source per controller
Taking into account some ineffeicencies would
3 off these be sufficent or overkill or have I missed something.
400W switch mode power supply,size;215*115*50mm,led driver,led power supply
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/400W-switch-mode-power-supply-size-215-115-50mm-led-driver-led-power-supply/701799_584050961.html

mborg10

Michael Borg
Ill answer my own question 1. I just got a response from ray. You can order in custom lengths and quoted price for 6m lengths is 60usd without controller or power supply.

Beefer

Apprentice elf
I've also been looking at these, I think some very cool snowflake effects would be possible.
But they don't appear to have an IP rating, so I'm suspicious they're not fully sealed for the outdoors...

kane

Dedicated elf
mborg10 said:
I don't know if these are a new item but I haven't seen too many of this style around

50pcs full color ball type led pixel module,DC12V input,3pcs 5050 RGB+WS2811 IC;with dmx convertor and power supply
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/50pcs-full-color-ball-type-led-pixel-module-DC12V-input-3pcs-5050-RGB-WS2811-IC-with/701799_683737130.html
There's a couple mentions of these in various threads. I have a few strings that I plan on testing out for UV protection as well as water protection - but getting the time seems to be a struggle so far this year.. I plan to use a bunch of strings on my megatree - not sure how many yet!

mborg10 said:
Last year was my first musical year and this year I am starting early on the research to upgrade to pixel RGB. First project is upgrading my 6m mega tree to a pizel display. I like the look of these lights as they have the 360 viewing direction.

I'm looking at these lights minus the controller and minus the power source and would purchase seperately. I have emailed Ray Wu to see if that is possible.

Ok here are my questions.
1. All the lengths I have seen for this product are 15m. Does anyknow if you can get them in 6m lengths but with the 50pcs
With most of Ray's stuff, you can ask for custom lengths - I've found that generally it costs around the same (per pixel) But a word of warning - if you want custom spacing, make sure you draw a diagram to ensure it doesn't get lost in translation - there's plenty of stories about this getting messed up..

mborg10 said:
2. Each string uses 3 dmx channels, so if I wanted a mega tree with 27 6m strings I would need to purchase 3 off these
Easy DMX LED controller;dmx decoder& driver
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Easy-DMX-LED-controller-dmx-decoder-driver/701799_378111925.html
No, those Easy-DMX controllers are used for dumb strings or other elements - they don't work with pixels. In order to have 27 strings of 50 pixels, you'd probably wire three strings up so you have 150 pixels in each "string". You would then need a pixel controller with 9 outputs - so probably the P12R (that has 12)

mborg10 said:
3. if my maths is correct
0.72w x 50 pcs = 36w per string. 9 strings per controller = 324w power source per controller
Taking into account some ineffeicencies would
3 off these be sufficent or overkill or have I missed something.
Power rating should be 0.6w per pixel (12v * 50ma), but always worth measuring this as published figures sometimes don't line up with reality.. But your calculations are pretty close anyway, in terms of total power usage..

But, you may need to check about the idea of running multiple power supplies on the one controller - you'll probably need to follow some of the info in the wiki (and/or ask in Chat) to make sure that it's all wired correctly.

thebaronn

New elf
Hello,
I used these this year on my Ultimate Mega Tree for a color changing garland effect. I had 3 strands running off a single E682 board. I had Ray make them with 3 or 4" spacing (I cannot remember).
Only one issue was with water. Out here it doesn't rain much, but during a really heavy storm some of the balls ended up with water in them. Once they dried out, they were fine (I was amazed).
Here are some pictures:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.510557635642308.120623.323555271009213&type=3
And some video, they had simple fades going for most the songs, nothing special.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSrzOhAma6w