64x64 pixel array using WS2812B LEDs

moondew

New elf
Unfortunately, the acrylic panels I am using look good but tend to bow out slightly when set the panel up vertically. This makes the center pixels appear to be more fuzzy.

I have one acrylic panel as a spacer between the LEDs and the diffuser panel. Next I am going to try replacing the spacer acrylic sheet with polycarbonate one. Hopefully it is much stiffer.

Even with the cooling fans there is still too much heat build up when the panel is set to brighter levels. This causes the acrylic to bow out quite a bit as well.

I may also look for an alternative for the diffuser panel as well.

arw01

Full time elf
moondew said:
I have one acrylic panel as a spacer between the LEDs and the diffuser panel. Next I am going to try replacing the spacer acrylic sheet with polycarbonate one. Hopefully it is much stiffer.

Even with the cooling fans there is still too much heat build up when the panel is set to brighter levels. This causes the acrylic to bow out quite a bit as well.

I may also look for an alternative for the diffuser panel as well.

Polycarbonate should be a whole lot stiffer, cost 2-3x as much as acrylic around here.

I would also look for a UV and heat blocking coated polycarbonate, last item you need is the sun turning it into a 100+ degree oven in there on sunny winter days. Besides the active cooling, do you have some passive cooling as well like a big heat sink, and do you have adequate air intake as well with filters on it? I noticed you had a few slots, but is their surface area enough for even the cfm the small fans can push out?

moondew

New elf
There is not really any passive cooling other than the hardboard the array is mounted on, which is not much of a heat sink.

Although, it has less trouble with heat when vertical. This is because the components on the back have some place for their heat to go. When laying flat the back components add to the heat of the panel.

The intake vent holes are large enough but the air must make 90 degree turns which hinders the air flow. Also, the space the air must flow through is only the height of the LEDs which is about 2mm.

The array does not get warm when the brightness is under 25% which is more than bright enough at night. Even at 100% brightness the temperature stays below 50C which is not too hot for the LEDs. It just deforms the acrylic more than I would like.

At this point it is what it is. Now its time to get back to working on the software.
[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• NeonClock.jpg
    NeonClock.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 29