6803 RGB Pixels

Tabor

Full time elf
Well I finally got my pixels and decoders from RayWu.

After setting up my DMX Dongle first tests were promising.
Then with the help of everyone on the Chat room tonight I was able to create a small sequence in LSP.

The original postings on these pixels can be read here:
http://forums.auschristmaslighting.com/index.php/topic,120.0.html
Thankyou Eddy

and more details are here
http://forums.auschristmaslighting.com/index.php/topic,127.0.html
Thanks John.

I set up 100 pixels in a 10x10 matrix.

The first quick video is here, showing just some patterns.
6803 strings

neilric99

Full time elf
my 100 are on the way, sitting at HK airport waiting a DHL flight to the US.

Given the construstion of these pixels I am not sure about their suitability for outdoors yet, unless I can protect them from the occional shower.

The MPH pixels do appear to have some added benefits that may make them the way to go.

dmoore

Senior elf
What did you do differently than ThaiWay? I thought that you both were doing this:

LSP > DMX Dongle > 6803 "controller" > 6803 pixels

It looks like it's working correctly. So would you pronounce it "working" with standard DMX?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
neilric99 said:

Given the construstion of these pixels I am not sure about their suitability for outdoors yet, unless I can protect them from the occional shower.

The MPH pixels do appear to have some added benefits that may make them the way to go.

Its all up to the user on how they want to spend their money but at under 60 cents a node compared to over 2 dollars a node for the MPH/JEC nodes i know what ill be buying. A lot of us enjoy a bit of DIY and our next little challenge is to improve the water proofing of these lights, I for one will be going the cheap path and spending some time improving the water proofing as the price difference is so huge that its worth for a lot of us to go down this path. The MPH/JEC pixels would be what i would consider commercial quality. Also remember that these controllers will also control the pixel strip as well and thus is a far cheaper alternative to the cosmic colour ribbon (CCR) from LOR. So to expect/compare quality between the two is really not a fair assessment. What we are looking at is the pixel control that has now become affordable for the average DIYer and a bit of extra work to improve water proofing is really not an issue for most of us.

Stay tuned for methods on improving the water proofing of these lights.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
dmoore said:
What did you do differently than ThaiWay? I thought that you both were doing this:

LSP > DMX Dongle > 6803 "controller" > 6803 pixels

It looks like it's working correctly. So would you pronounce it "working" with standard DMX?

It appears that Thaiway who received his DMX decoder direct from L-Tech as a free sample got a dud unit, Tabor received two units from Ray and both worked as expected.

neilric99

Full time elf
Eddy, I am still with you on this, the DIY option is still a valid option and spending a little time and enjoyment is a great way to go. I think I need to get my DIY hat back on as well.

Neil

fasteddy said:
neilric99 said:

Its all up to the user on how they want to spend their money but at under 60 cents a node compared to over 2 dollars a node for the MPH/JEC nodes i know what ill be buying. A lot of us enjoy a bit of DIY and our next little challenge is to improve the water proofing of these lights, I for one will be going the cheap path and spending some time improving the water proofing as the price difference is so huge that its worth for a lot of us to go down this path. The MPH/JEC pixels would be what i would consider commercial quality. Also remember that these controllers will also control the pixel strip as well and thus is a far cheaper alternative to the cosmic colour ribbon (CCR) from LOR. So to expect/compare quality between the two is really not a fair assessment. What we are looking at is the pixel control that has now become affordable for the average DIYer and a bit of extra work to improve water proofing is really not an issue for most of us.

Stay tuned for methods on improving the water proofing of these lights.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
very nice rainbow colour effect, these look very nice, now to get some cash together to get a few myself.

mrpackethead

Full time elf
the 6803 chip is what i used last year on the megatree.. And my experience is that i'd never use them again.. they are really unreliable.. ( lots of lock ups ).. the problem is that they are manufactured in Mainland CHina in a factory that well is'nt quite up the job.. other thing is that they are just 5 bit control, so the colour control at the lower end is somewhat clunky..

Don't underestimate the trouble that the waterproofing will give you... :)

and Just FYI, the opensource driver i'm about to post, will with a small firmware modication, will happily convert DMX --> 6803, so if you want to use that you can.