$8.14 Eight output Pixel Contoller.

multicast

Senior elf
Had my arm bent to connect the dots so to speak for a simple little open source project.

Openlighting will run on a raspberry PI or beagle bone. It will receive any number of lighting protocols ( DMX, Artnet, E1.31 etc etc ) and you can do all sorts of stuff with it. One of the "stuff" things you can do is drive Pixels. Matt Ranstray has already written the code for it. its all a bit rough still, but it works very nicely, just needs some 'tidying' together.

For those that can't wait here is Matts code and links.

https://github.com/mranostay/ws28xx-lighting-pru

You can also check out open lighting.org

I've tested this out on the bench and it works well. What you will need is a beagle bone black. ( about $USD45 ) plus a "cape" that we are going to make. The cape is *very* simple. It will only have 2 low cost IC's, 16 resistors and 2 caps, plus some connectors. PCB should only cost a few dollars at volume and the parts about $6-7. ( most of the cost is the connectors ).. The object of this, is to make it very cheap, so you'll need to sort out your own power distribution etc etc.. 8 outputs, they can drive multiple universes per output.

Right now, the software supports Ws2801's, 2811 and 2812's, but more are coming and because the code is completely open you can add your own.

I'll see if i can finish this pcb design in the next few weeks, but heres the schematic.

PS.. I won't be making this as a 'product' or kit. I might get 50 boards made and you can glue your own together.

[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• pixel_cape.PDF
    145.4 KB · Views: 90

multicast

Senior elf
Re: Beaglebone PixelCape driven by Open Lighting

Drawn up the PCB now, prototype works nicely.

Prices for parts are based on 1up, but you can get them much cheaper in quantity

Parts list: 2 x 74HCT540 @ 0.60c $1.10
[SIZE=78%]2x 0.1uF 0805 Cap $0.05 $0.10[/SIZE]
16 x 56R 0805 Resistor $0.04 $0.64
2 x Header plugs to plug into beagle $3.50
PCB ( estimate ) $2.80

Best guess cost $8.14

You need to add to this of course the cost of buying a beagle bone black ( $US45 )

Can drive 4 universes out of each output, Outputs can be set up for both DATA/CLOCK or just DATA outputs, so pretty verisile.

Code is completely open, ( www.openlighting.com )

Deceided it would be a Surface Moutn Project, but have deliberately made it very learner friendly, used 0805 parts and SOIC IC'c.. Given its low cost, and easy build. it would be a great intro into Surface Mount Parts.

Theres quite stong interest in the Openlighting project community to finish this up, so will be running PCB's shortly on my next order..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 1.38.11 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 1.38.11 pm.png
    385.7 KB · Views: 68

multicast

Senior elf
Just another alternative to the stuff thats already out there. No Power distribution on this, you'll have to sort that out for yourself, but the object was to make this *really* low cost. It should be pretty easy to setup software as well, a prebuilt image for the beagle bone

Benslights

Dedicated elf
I would like to get 2 of the boards when you do a run Andrew will give me a chance to make my own boards again

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Board looks good Andrew but 1 thing jumped out at me. I might be wrong but the resistors and caps on the board look like they are 0402 or 0603 based on the relative size of the header and if they are they will be a mofo for the backyard solderer to put together.

It could well be my tired eyes trying to translate a 2.5mm spacing connector to a 2mm x 1mm resistor.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
http://au.element14.com/element14/bbone-black-4g/beaglebone-black-rev-c-cortex-a8/dp/2422228 . 2 months off being in stock and $64 from element 14. $US45 isn't too different from $AU64.

Do not apply voltage to any I/O pin when power is not supplied to the board. it will damage the processor.

^^^ Just noticed that while reading the specs. As long as the clock and data lines coming out of the board don't get swapped with the +12 or +5 you shouldn't ever put some power back into the board.

benzor84

Apprentice elf
hi mate i will also take one of these boards if you do end up selling them.
I alredy have a beagle bone black waiting.

multicast

Senior elf
AAH said:
Board looks good Andrew but 1 thing jumped out at me. I might be wrong but the resistors and caps on the board look like they are 0402 or 0603 based on the relative size of the header and if they are they will be a mofo for the backyard solderer to put together.

It could well be my tired eyes trying to translate a 2.5mm spacing connector to a 2mm x 1mm resistor.

they are all 0805 size.

multicast

Senior elf
Kane said:
I don't know much about those beagle bones, but can you put multiple capes on a single beagle bone? And where can you get them for $45 from? Might grab one to play with.

Digikey or Mouser. $45 US.. Just have to watch out for shipping.. If you get a few people together you can share a $30 flat rate.