A comparison of 16+ RGB controllers

smeighan

Dedicated elf
I have been asked many times by users about the differences between the different 16 string RGB controllers. I currently use DLA and falcon hardware.
What about E1.31, Artnet, Pixelnet? (To my knowledge there are no renard 16 string RGB controllers)
I have pulled data from multiple places to build a comparison table.

So what is the best controller? They all drive our lights. Every one of the controllers have a user base that is happy with what they picked.
I think the most important feature (that we dont measure) is how much time you have invested learning your controller, how to configure it, how to use it.
When there is a table comparison, be careful of the rows.

Steve added these other factors that could help a person decide which controller they would use:
the size of the community using the controllers -- will there be resale value if you change your setup to something different?
the people in the forums using the controllers -- are the other users helpful and do they visit the forum frequently?
local community -- will you get help from others in your area? what do they use? can they help with last minute spare parts or troubleshooting with your selection?
availability -- if you want to grow the size of your show do you need to wait for a COOP? are there enough people using the controller to buy their extras?
compatibility -- how difficult is it to add controllers from other vendors, dongles, foggers, animitronics, and other pieces to your show as your interests expand?
<end of edit>

Example: Do you care about the number of status LEDs? Some people do, some dont. Some rows may be very important others are just information.

So with those caveats, here is the comparison table showing 16+ string RGB controllers
http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/

If there are some rows that should be added or for errors in the content (I copied from multiple places) please send corrections to xlights@meighan.net

Does someone know where i can find info on the j1sys P12s board?

I am sure i have some mistakes as i filled in over 500 cells on this page. I'll update them as corrections are sent to me.

Any corrections to this table can be sent to xlights@meighan.net
sean

Robert

Apprentice elf
Don't forget about the P12d. Unfortunately, info on the J1Sys stuff is so hard to find.

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
This is great info. Thanks for sharing Sean! As this is my second year in the hobby I was just going to buy more PixLite boards but seeing this comparison really helps me and I'm going to wait until the new Falcon board is out before deciding. Thanks again!

smeighan

Dedicated elf
I have added controllers from RonP to the RGB Controller web page.

RonP makes 4 controllers 8,16,32,64 universe boards.
Assembled his controllers are
Ronp-64: $105
Ronp-32: $85
Ronp-16: $65
Ronp-8: Assembled 8 universe controller not available, you can buy the bare board for $4

He runs his group buys here
http://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?3689-Sixteen-Universe-Group-Buy

The web page that shows the comparison between the various rgb controllers is here
http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/