A few questions

Eben

New elf
I hope people are not getting annoyed with my n00b questions here yet.

I've only been researching this week with the plan of going full blown stupid next year with a light show. The more I read the better the options get.

So currently I think I like the look of LFP better than LSP (which I was all but sold on). Madrix has also piqued my interest but I think its cost prohibitive and in the same class as LFP.

For those of you in the know (maybe even the developer can comment).

The cue based sequencing makes a LOT more sense to me (then again I'm a programmer), can you have cues execute in parallel (AKA threads)? In my mind I can imagine working with cues as pre-built effects and mixing them on a timeline.

Can you do timeline based sequencing against a wave form (like LSP)? SWMBO is dead set on having singing faces, so that is something that I'd like to sync to the audio track, can it be done and is it a lot harder than LSP or LOR for instance?

I should also state that I do no intend on having anything other than RGB pixels in my display - I don't have a lot of space and need to get the biggest bang for my real estate.

The software side seems almost more conflicting than the hardware side of this hobby.

Another question, is the visualizer worth the extra cost for what I'm likely to end up doing it would have to save me around 50 hours of work before I'd consider it worth it...

kane

Dedicated elf
Eben said:
So currently I think I like the look of LFP better than LSP (which I was all but sold on). Madrix has also piqued my interest but I think its cost prohibitive and in the same class as LFP.

For those of you in the know (maybe even the developer can comment).
I think there's a lot of people here that are keen at looking at LFP, but there's a lot of unknowns (and perhaps a steep learning curve when moving from LOR/LSP), so I don't know if there are many people that have taken the leap.

AussiePhil, Tabor and Neil are the only ones I know of, but obviously there could be plenty more!

I might try and have a play with the demo again next year to see what I make of it.

In terms of a visualiser, I'd say that pretty much everyone views it an essential tool within LOR or LSP - so are you saying that LFP doesn't include one?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Though not doing talking faces i think cue based sequencing would make it easier as you could just record each facial setup once and then quickly re-use for each cue point.
Kane. it doesn't have a visualiser like LSP/LOR as it is meant to communicate with 3rd party visualisers often with full 3D rendering. having said that it does have a layout view that when you set up RGB matrix you can see the entire matrix in real time. so for all my RGB i effectively set a matrix for the entire front of the house and laid out the elements to be close to the display setup, works surprising well.
Phil

neilric99

Full time elf
Regarding the visualizer for Light Factory, these 3D visualizer's are great tools but they will have their limitations when trying to see 10,000 rgb fixtures. As Phil pointed out the layout view in Light Factory is surprisingly good enough for what you need and is built in.