A Melbournian, looking to get creative

Kotche

Apprentice elf
G'day all

Was pointed in this forum's direction by a Youtuber in the US show casing his own animated lighting experiences, etc. Have been watching a number of vids on how to setup an animated lighting system, but still feel as though I know next to nothing; am excited to find this forum. Once I read through the 101 basics, you'll be sure to see me around the traps.

Challenges for me will be mainly electronics. I ain't much of an engineer in that regard, but am comfortable enough around the computer aspects (Mac user) to have some level of confidence there.

Looking forward to getting to know many of you.

cheers!

Red

l kill you
Welcome, Check out Xlight.org in utube, and follow Keith Westley on utube as well in Aussie, so much information to be learned there as well, There are yearly Mini,s where we gather in each state for weekend workshops, so keep an eye out for that as well. goodluck and welcome to this insane hobby lol

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome from another Victorian. There's massive amounts of info in the ACL101 and between the forum and chat you can get info on just about how to do anything blinky related.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL Kotche!
As mentioned above the 101 manual is worth joining here alone, but there is HEAPS of more detailed info in the forums & wiki pages. Plus if you want to get some instant feedback, you can always pop into chat at any time.
We're also in planning stages of our annual Mini meetup, where we spend the weekend discussion all sorts of topics and show off and share tips, tricks ideas and elements we've built for our shows.

Kotche

Apprentice elf
Awesome, guys, thanks for the responses. Sounds like I've come to the right place to start from scratch. I'll keep an eye out for that Mini meetup - reckon that'd be a great place to start for someone like me ... to be able to physically see how a system is setup, and ask why it's setup the way that it is, would be a great benefit.

Have been browsing through the 101 manual for starters. I already feel brighter (pardon the pun ... well, not really.) ;)

StuartW

Apprentice elf
Welcome to the nut house. Great to see another Mac user joining in the fun. Really try to get to a mini in your state you'll find that actually seeing how things work will make it easier for you. If you let us know where you're located there might be someone local that can give you a hand getting started. Good luck.

Kotche

Apprentice elf
Yeah cool. I’m in SE suburbs, in Sandhurst (near Carrum Downs). If there’s a willing soul nearby, I’d be grateful to have a chat. Was surprised to see three locations on your members map that are close to me and have done displays already. Wish I’d known before Christmas - I’d have gone to check them out!

burnt

Full time elf
Yeah cool. I’m in SE suburbs, in Sandhurst (near Carrum Downs). If there’s a willing soul nearby, I’d be grateful to have a chat. Was surprised to see three locations on your members map that are close to me and have done displays already. Wish I’d known before Christmas - I’d have gone to check them out!
welcome to the area. good to have another display to add to recommend list to see and I'm always up for a chat.

Robbo

Full time elf
Welcome Kotche, yes there is a few of us in the SE Suburbs, mini as djgra79 pointed out in the setup stages, with a tentative date in May pending venue and other states holding their mini meetings, you definitely have come to the right place, enjoy the ride