AC vs DC

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You can do it actually both ways, So you may have a very long run that may need to have 2 power supplies at either end of the run

ChristmasLover

New elf
Ok.

Took some measurements of my roofline today. UGHHHHH..... will need about 135 ft of WS2811 strips to cover the outline. Add another 66 feet to outline windows and garage. 196' total! From Ray Wu's store thats almost $600 dollars already.....

My wife will not like this new hobby i can tell already! lol

Out of curiosity, everyone post about how much money you have sank into your display.(if you care too)

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
AC vs DC

Well over $2,000 in my first (this) year. I needed everything, including lights and tools (I had nothing).

burner

Full time elf
We've sunk about $1500-$2000 into this year, when you start to add the little things like conduit, clips, tape, heat shrink, solder, S.S. wire and clamps, coroflute sheets, the controller, software, costly mistakes etc.

We tend to budget arount $1000 each year at our place, but this year the exception was the J1SYS and the LSP Pro software. I've only half filled my J1SYS, so next year I should only need to buy lights from Ray. Still tossing up whether to make a pixel tree or a strip tree. It will only be a half tree, because I'll be attaching to the existing portico ballustrade and then attaching my star to that. This year I have 8 strings of blue lights (2,400 LED's all up).

Shame this site doesn't allow uploads of Video's for ACL members only, as I'd rather not upload to Youtube/Vimeo.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I spend about 2k a year but then when you consider that its a hobby and the value of money per the time you spend is not that bad and the end results are there to be shared and bring joy to many.

Now if i compared that to say playing golf, i would most probably spend a similar amount over the year and even more if I include the 19th hole and at the end of the year i have nothing really to show for the money i have spent. At least with Christmas Lighting the money i spend on the hobby is on mainly tangable things that help keep the community spirit alive.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
AC vs DC

About 2k this year also but was starting into LOR for the first time and using RGB for the first time also. But want to try pixels next year so I'd better start saving now.

ChristmasLover

New elf
2k is about the amount I figured i would spend as well. I have a crap ton on incandescent lights, but am upgrading everything to RGB LED. I may wait an extra season to put up a pixel tree, but I have caught the RGB bug and theres only one cure MORE RGB! lol

I love the way Eddy explained it in terms of Golf. Will try to feed that to the wifey lol see how it goes.

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
My budget is generally about $1k. Like others, this being my first year into animation meant a sizeable investment into tools, wire, PSUs, controllers, software. I may or may not have gone about four times that :-X