Closed ACL 'MK2 fully-built' aka MK3 strobes (ends 3-Aug-2015) CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulk buy close date
Aug 3, 2015

frankr

New elf
There is a note in the OP that payments not received by 8/3 will not be processed but I did not see payment instructions. Am I missing something?

Frank

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Not missing anything. As I haven't collated numbers and confirmed lengths I haven't gone about chasing up the money. Once I put up the list I will put in paying details. It may be today.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
I'll take 6 of them at 50cm, please.

The outstanding question I have - just supply 5 volts to them, or do we need a data signal as well?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
algerdes said:
I'll take 6 of them at 50cm, please.

The outstanding question I have - just supply 5 volts to them, or do we need a data signal as well?

Just supply 5 volts

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
algerdes said:
Thank you.

Ill clarify

You only need 5 volts to run these as there is no data to send. But what the original strobes had was a 3rd wire that was a trigger, so you could keep the PIC chip live and then when you apply a 5v ground then this will trigger the LED to come on, so great for connecting up to DC controllers. What im not sure about is if these new strobe strings have a trigger wire or not, so Alan should be able to clarify that

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
No trigger wire. As soon as 5V is applied they start their strobing cycle.
Someday real soon I will post some info in the wiki on ways of connecting the strobes when you have things like AC controllers or when you have primarily 12V or 24V displays.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
algerdes said:
Fasteddy said:
... the original strobes had was a 3rd wire that was a trigger...

I remembered something like this, hence my question.
I'll look forward to the answer.
Thanks again.

You can still run these on a 2 core extension as all you need to do is bridge out the 5v ground and the 5v ground trigger, the result may be that the strobes are not as random looking as if using the trigger, but then i also know there have been some code changes to make the strobe start more random and this may mean that the trigger is not needed anymore.

ALAN?

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Any Recommended controller board for these ?

Usually I use an AC strobe and would be interested in how this will eliminate another AC controller :)

I would be down for 5 at 50 CM, but need to know what else I need to get going to get these set up.
(just too lazy to browse through 4 pages of this thread I guess)

-Blu

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
bluzervic said:
Any Recommended controller board for these ?

Usually I use an AC strobe and would be interested in how this will eliminate another AC controller :)

I would be down for 5 at 50 CM, but need to know what else I need to get going to get these set up.
(just too lazy to browse through 4 pages of this thread I guess)

-Blu

Just connect the 5v ground to the DC controller like you would with any other lights, so similar to how you would control your current strobes through your AC board where these are connected in a similar fashion to a DC board, but make sure you dont use any dimming in your programming as you need to have the channel on at 100%

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Good info.
I was looking at cutting the lights into sections, tying each section back to a DC controller channel, then setting them off at various intervals. This not only gives me the ability to get more of a "random" effect, but also allows for using only small portions at a time.

The fact that they do not need data simplifies things. I can use a 12 volt main supply and then use buck-converters to take the voltage down to 5v at each section. I can use a single power supply and run pretty much the whole width of my display (180 feet) to each section. I have a Ren48LSD to control them.

These look really good, and very promising to add to my display.

:) 8)

JonB256

Full time elf
My DC controller outputs a 400hz pulse width waveform. Even at 100%, there is a gap.

I'll probably need a small capacitor to clean that up.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
JonB256 said:
My DC controller outputs a 400hz pulse width waveform. Even at 100%, there is a gap.

I'll probably need a small capacitor to clean that up.

Or just use a relay interface, thats what i did because the DC controller i was using was set up for 12vdc so i just triggered a small 12vdc relay to turn on my strobes

Status
Not open for further replies.