ACL Strobes - Interest post

drlucas

Apprentice elf
There has been a bit of a discussion over on the following thread: http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=4890.new;topicseen#new

So lets get an idea of how many people what strobes. Reply to this post with the following information.

Name: your user ID
Complete ACL: the total number of ACL strobes you'd like
PCB only: the total number of printed circuit boards so you can get your own mouser BoM later
Ray Wu String: you really don't want ACL, but want a Ray Wu string of xx lights
Timing: when you want these to arrive at your door step

drlucas

Apprentice elf
Name: drlucas
Complete ACL: 55
PCB only: 0
Ray Wu String: 1 string of 25 strobes
Timing: September

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I will throw a spanner in the works early. The ACL strobes are fine once they are built but are horrendous for novice SMD solderers. They have the advantage of being standalone strobes meaning that they don't require any controller to run them. I originally designed up a 2801 based strobe that drove a 0.75W led at full brightness. When Ray transferred the design to 2811 there was a design failure and the 0.75W led was massively under driven. The design I made was designed especially for novices and it would still be available if there was interest. This required the strobes to be driven either by a J1 Sys P2 or similar pixel driver with a strobe setting, a dedicated pixel strobe board like David_AVD was working on or an Arduino or similar based controller.
Ray was given the opportunity to make the strobes as the original ACL ones were difficult to make and terrible to try and seal up and put lenses on. The finished units were nicely put together and were cheap but just weren't as bright as the original ACL ones.
I no longer have any interest in loading strobe boards but I could organise either a MK2 ACL strobe that could be supplied fully loaded less the leds or the 2801 board I designed last year. Fully loaded boards can potentially supplied at about 5 weeks notice and are quite similar in price to bare boards and components.

arw01

Full time elf
My question before posting the interest, what's the worst case scenario cost per board and then with the stobe pixels themselves, I'm confused is there a choice between ray's under driven and ACL properly driven?

IMHO, it's hard to gauge interest without a ballpark worst case they will cost this much before shipping and then you need to spend this much more per unit, etc..

Alan

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
There will be 3 critical factors to make this happen that may prove difficult.

1: Getting the PCB design from Phil

2: Getting the correct covers from Fathead45

3: Making sure all the parts are available.

dougd

Full time elf
Well since we don't have a cost, I will throw out a dollar amount. I have $200 in a budget for strobes this year.

I tried the Ray strobes last year, wasn't impressed.

If someone starts something count me in.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Name: AussieDoug
Complete ACL: Around the $200 mark
PCB only: 0
Ray Wu String: 0
Timing: Whenever they arrive

drlucas

Apprentice elf
What is the difference between the two? is there a bill of materials (ball park costs for either to address Alan's concern)?

I'm also in the $200 budget range if possible...

AAH said:
[SIZE=78%] but I could organise either a MK2 ACL strobe that could be supplied fully loaded less the leds or the 2801 board I designed last year. Fully loaded boards can potentially supplied at about 5 weeks notice and are quite similar in price to bare boards and components.[/SIZE]

AAH

If there was sufficient interest I'd do a redesign that used the same pic and program but had a different layout to allow easier assembly.

The below are a couple of strobe pictures that someone who has done a reasonable amount of soldering tried unsuccessfully to solder up using solder paste. To give some idea of scale the pcb is about 18mm x 12mm (3/4" x 1/2").

Attachments

• IMAG0343.jpg
    IMAG0343.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0341.jpg
    IMAG0341.jpg
    833.4 KB · Views: 69

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
here is a image of them being soldered decently
Strobe2.jpg

and
DSC_3718s.jpg

photo's supplied from "lights on the ridge" and "lithgow lights"

arw01

Full time elf
There is a new micro ssc controller that went out to a board assembler for the smd parts, realistically what would it add to the cost to have them built in quantity?

My guess looking at parts, and it's a guess, is three dollars worth of components there not including the lense or led itself?

AAH

Surface mount device compared to through hole device. SMD is smaller and cheaper and costs less to have loaded onto a pcb.