ACL Strobes Interest Thread

justinj

Apprentice elf
Looks like a few people may be interested in some more ACL Strobes. Just for a show of hands to see if we can get a co-op going, who is after some and how many sets?

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Re: ACL Strobes

To my knowledge, there isn't a GB planned this year. Can't help you with the second part of question as I don't have a single ACL strobe here (assembled or not).

Others may be able to assist, however.

Skunberg

Full time elf
I believe there's a new strobe in development. You should check into that one first.

Brian

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Yeah. I have a new strobe in the works. It is a pixel based strobe and designed to work of the board that David_AVD is working on. At the moment there is no pricing of any sort and I have been debating based on conversations in chat whether to get pricing on
a) bare board and components
b) loaded board except for the led and cover
c) fully built strobes as a string of 50 built buy someone like Ray Wu

I would anticipate that there would be very little difference in price between options a and b as there is only a few components per board. Theoretically either of these options could be shipped within a couple of weeks. Option C would involve talking to Ray or someone else in the led manufacturing game and the lead time would likely be at least a month but more likely closer to 2 months. The cost of options a and b is likely to be cheaper than the previous acl group buys but I have no idea what option c would cost as it is entirely out of my hands. In the next few days I will get pricing for option b and will try my luck with Ray to see if it is possible to get strobes made on a sub 1000 piece production run.

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,3643 has the info on the board David is making and a couple of photos and quick videos of the proto strobes I made. There's no covers on them yet as I won't have and covers for a day or 2.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
Alan,

I would be interested in 100 - 200 of these. would look great i think. Just hope they would be waterproof (or thereabouts)

kane

Dedicated elf
AAH said:
a) bare board and components
b) loaded board except for the led and cover
c) fully built strobes as a string of 50 built buy someone like Ray Wu

Given the popularity of the service you provided on the strobes last year, I am thinking that option A won't be too popular!

Myself, I'd be happy with option B, although option C would be even better, due to lack of available time this year round. I'd probably go for 100-200 as well. Obviously ensuring we can get waterproof is key to both options.

I think that Ray would be keen on this, especially if there was a good amount of interest from people. I am guessing that the likely cost could be estimated based on a standard 2801 string, plus additional cost for the larger LED, and marginally more for the pcb size and other components?

battle79

Full time elf
More interest here also. Looking at around 100. But I would want them spaced more like 400mm rather then the usual 100mm, just to throw a spanner in the works.

Thinking about it, if Ray can do it at all, lengths can probably be custom anyway same as current strings.

Cheers,
Rowan

kane

Dedicated elf
battle79 said:
More interest here also. Looking at around 100. But I would want them spaced more like 400mm rather then the usual 100mm, just to throw a spanner in the works.

Thinking about it, if Ray can do it at all, lengths can probably be custom anyway same as current strings.

Absolutely. And I'd probably be about the same as well, 300-400 would be good.

I actually just received 10 strings of the "ping pong ball" style pixels from Ray - and had these made at custom lengths (140mm centres instead of about 250mm).. Was surprised with how quick he turned it around - was around a week from order to being shipped...

justinj

Apprentice elf
I'm after 150-200, depending on price (as it looks like there won't be an ACL strobes buy at this point).
I'd take option A for quicker delivery and to save a few bucks. Will they include/have the option for the same or similar style covers as the ACL ones?