Acrow Prop for Megatree Pole

nightflyer00

James
Hi Guys,

Has anyone tried using an acrow prop for their megatree pole? They seem to hold some pretty heavy weight and extend up to 4.87m which is tall enough for my megatree.

I've been stuffing around with one of the steel places here in VIC but they don't seem overly interested in providing the more traditional poles I've asked for.

Would love to hear your opinions on this.

Thanks.

tooms

12v4life
Cant say I've seen it before .. but pretty cool idea, I imagine if you knew the right people you could probably get these really cheap.

Their is plenty of steel shops around though, I would just keep phoning around until you find one that has what you want.

Scozza

New elf
The top of my pole is a M16 threaded rod which sits inside the 20mm top section. Gives me the ability to crank the top up and down as needed for adjustment. A bit quick & dirty but seems to work well.

battle79

Full time elf
My tree is made from 100mm x 100mm square tube, 4mm thick walls, and 9mtrs tall. It is hinged at the ground and then attaches to a 90 degree internal corner where 2 eaves meet. Other than the eave attachment, it honestly doesn't need a single guide wire as it doesn't move. I've stuck 3 on it to keep the neighbours from worrying. It is too heavy to lift into place on my own, which could be an issue this year if we are still social distancing.

battle79

Full time elf
As for the prop, it would work well I'd imagine. Not sure if the tripod stand they sell would be strong enough to support it, but might be fine if you used strong guide wires from the top down to solid attachment points. The top plate should make attaching a topper to.

nightflyer00

James
As for the prop, it would work well I'd imagine. Not sure if the tripod stand they sell would be strong enough to support it, but might be fine if you used strong guide wires from the top down to solid attachment points. The top plate should make attaching a topper to.
I've already built the portable hole. I'll find some way of attaching the pole to it.

battle79

Full time elf
Props will usually have bolt holes in the plates at top and bottom, probably just hammer drill 4 holes and use dynabolts (masonry anchor, or sleeve anchor for non Australians) into the portable hole. can just undo the nuts each year to remove for storage. Sounds like a good idea you have come up with to me.

nightflyer00

James
I bought the prop. Drilled the holes in the concrete block this evening. Going to put the dynabolts in tomorrow and see how we go. Already have my tree topper steel plate I got from extreme lighting attached on the other end. Just need to build something to mount the star and it will be good to go. I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Battle83

New elf
I bought the prop. Drilled the holes in the concrete block this evening. Going to put the dynabolts in tomorrow and see how we go. Already have my tree topper steel plate I got from extreme lighting attached on the other end. Just need to build something to mount the star and it will be good to go. I'll post some photos tomorrow.
Hey mate, just wanted to see how you got on with the acroprop... Got any pics?

nightflyer00

James
Hey mate, just wanted to see how you got on with the acroprop... Got any pics?
I'll grab some when I get home. I've pulled it apart but didn't remove the base from the acrow prop. It worked really well. It would have been nice to have a winch system but honestly it was really easy to just lay it down sideways, attached the strips, and then lift it up again. It was also rock solid all season. I live in a very windy area and after attaching a couple of support cables it barely moved in the wind at all.