Advance String Config

AndyK

New elf
I was wondering if there are any additional videos (YouTube or Vimeo) out there on how to use the Advance String Configuration set up? Other than the Advatek website or HolidayCoro (I've watched those several times and not getting what I think I need out of it).

Here is what I'm trying to do and need some guidance or redirection!
Outputs 1-8 will be 12V, using 2811 (12V) rectangular modulars. 20ct on Output1, and another 20 on Output 2. That will be all for 12V (output 3-8 will be entry for now).
  • Output 1: Univ.1, ch 1-60
  • Output 2: Univ.2, ch 61-120
Outputs 9-16 will be 5V, using 50ct 2811 (5v) pixels. For testing purposes, using Outputs 15 & 16. Each has a 50ct of the 2811 (one bullet style, other squares).
  • Output 15; Univ. 3, ch 121-270 (Or does this need to be Univ. 15)
  • Output 16; Univ. 4 ch 271-420 (Or does this need to be Univ. 16)
Am I missing something with my channel count?
  • on the 2811 rectangular mods? 20mods x 3 ch ea = 60 ch, right?
  • 50ct 2811, 50 nodes x 3 ch ea = 150 ch, right?
In the Advance String Config, I have String 1 = Univ 1, String 2 = Univ 2, then do I jump to string 15 for Univ.15, and then String 16 for Univ. 16?
Or would Univ. 15 & 16 go in the String 3 & 4 fields?
This seems "simple" enough in my head, but maybe I'm just missing a step?? I'm using XLights/Nutcracker for this testing, so I am mirror the set up to what the Advance String Config says. But I'm not getting the results I expected. I have tested just one string at a time (one universe at a time an all the strings work), but when I try to hook them all up to simulate my set up, I'm having difficulties. Only part of the 50ct will light up, and that's only 1 of the 2 strings)

Oh! and I realize I'm completely UNDER utilizing the potential of this controller, but this is only for testing the pixels and putting to use everything I've been reading for the past year.
Thanks in advance for any assistance/guidance.
AndyK

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
Hi Andy,

The first principle you need to understand is that universes (and channels inside universes) and "strings" (or outputs on the controller) don't have any solid rules with connecting to each other. Universes are the incoming data side and the strings are the physical outputs. The controller is capable of "connecting" the beginning of an output to any channel within any universe. Outputs can be connected to the same universe data as each other, be sequential to each other, or be separated by hundreds of universes if you required it.

As a further note of detail in case you don't know, each universe contains 512 channels (but pixels only use the first 510 of these). So with your current setup, you are only using the first 60 channels of universe 1. Then you are skipping the first 60 channels of universe 2, using the next 60 and skipping the last 390. Hopefully that puts into perspective what you are telling the controller to do.

So what you are entering into the config is valid and will work if you setup xLights properly, however it's probably not what you are meaning to do.

The fact you are making the channels start sequentially after each other probably means you want them all to be in the same universe. I.E. Keep all of your channel settings the same but change universe on all 4 of those strings to universe 1. Then you only need 1 universe outputting in xLights. This is using all channels within each universe sequentially and not leaving gaps.

The other popular approach is to start a new string/output at a new universe and always channel 1. This approach would mean you would keep the universes you have but change the channel to 1 on all of them. Or some other universe numbering system but always keeping the channel as 1.

They are the 2 most common methods of setting up your universes/channels.

Hopefully that's not too complicated but there are really a lot of valid ways to configure your controller, the key is making it match what you are sending with your sequencer.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
AndyK said:
  • Output 1: Univ.1, ch 1-60
  • Output 2: Univ.2, ch 61-120
  • Output 15; Univ. 3, ch 121-270 (Or does this need to be Univ. 15)
  • Output 16; Univ. 4 ch 271-420 (Or does this need to be Univ. 16)

One thing to note is there is 2 universes per output. It might be easier to set it up properly from the start.
By that I mean set output 1 for 1040 channels & carry on through to output 16. Then in your software just pick the channels you would like to output to.
  • output 1 & 2 will be universe 1 & 3. Universe 1 use channels 1-60. Universe 3 use 1025-1084
  • output 15 & 16 will be universe 29 & 31. Universe 29 channels 14337-14396. Universe 31 channels 15361 -15420