Advice on pixel system?

Maniaman

New elf
Let me preface this by saying I know absolutely nothing about pixels.

I'm working on a project that needs 2 12 meter pixel runs.

I'm planning on using an E682 controller, and was thinking I could get by with 5 of these strips: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-WS2811-LED-digital-strip-60leds-m-with-30pcs-WS2811-built-in-the-5050-smd-rgb/701799_653641294.html

Being a 5V system I have no idea how often I'm going to have to inject power into these strips.

Will this setup work, or is there something better I should be trying? Anything else I'm missing or need to know?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ok lets first count how many channels you will need for each run

30 IC/M x 12 = 360 pixels per 12 metre run = 1080 channels.

Now the E682 or the ECG-P12R wont output that amount of pixels as they are bound by a max of 512 channels (1 universe) per output.

So that leaves the ECG-P2 which for $77 built and tested in a case will output 680 pixels (2040 channels) per output so this is well within what you rewuire for each run. The ECG-P2 has 2 outputs so it appears that this would be the perfect solution for what you want to do.

You would have to inject power at every 5 metres with this strip and make sure the distance between the power supply and strip is not too far

Maniaman

New elf
Sounds good. Looks like I'm looking at 7.2 amps/meter. Based on distances and lengths I think I'll be best off getting a 5V 10A power supply for each string.

Are there any recommendations for power supplies? (i'm in the US). I have a ton of old ATX computer power supplies laying around, though I would almost prefer something a little more designed for this use.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf

Maniaman

New elf
Will that work with such a long run though, or will you lose too much voltage in the wire running from the power supply to the next set of pixels?

remoteutah

Full time elf
Maniaman - May I make a suggestion if you have not ordered your strips?

I noticed the link to the lights you are using. First off, I think the header for that item is wrong. The page header says 60led/m with 30chips/m. I see the item description says 30led/m with integrated (which is what I am using and LOVE them!). I just want to make sure you are getting what ya need. Didn't know if you were really looking for the strip that has the other configuration. After seeing mine work, I am not sure I can use and strips or modules that do not have a 1:1 ratio of leds to chips. I like the resolution, but I am sure there are applications that would benefit from 2:1 or 3:1 leds to chip ratios. I am thinking like wall washers, arches and internal lights for Coro figures.

I am working on a snowman who's head/face is going to be a matrix of either 60led/m, 64led/m or the new 68led/m strips cut into 18 inch (I think) lengths and laid side-by-side. I think either the 64's or 68's will allow me to actually bump the strips right up next to each other so they touch! I will have to measure both to see how close I can get them so that the height/width distances between pixels is the same. I know these are HIGH count leds per meter but since they will be cut to 18 inches, I can inject power on each length. With the head/face/body, this 6 foot snowman with have a total of 793 pixels or 2379 channels. I am going to dedicate a ECG-P2 just to this snowman!

Maniaman

New elf
Whats the difference in leds vs chips? Does 60led/m with 30 chips/m mean the LEDs are controlled in pairs of 2? I was assuming 30 led per meter each individually controlled, so I'll make sure that's the case before I order.

neilric99

Full time elf
Yes 60/M with 30IC/M means exactly that, each chip controls 2 rgb leds which would give a spacing between each pair of pixels of around 35mm. You have to think about the power that these strips consume, you dont get many to a 350W smps, and each 5M of these strips will consume 1 Universe of DMX data.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Maniaman said:
Will that work with such a long run though, or will you lose too much voltage in the wire running from the power supply to the next set of pixels?
I was only showing that specific power supply to show that you can find them fairly easily, not as a specific recommendation. Of course you have to look at your own useage and figure out what the current requirements and actual power needs are going to be for what you are going to do.
Being that you are using 5 volt rather than 12 volt stuff, you also have to get a little more involved with some of the power calculating to make sure that you have the right supplies and wire sizes for what you want to do.
I am a little pressed for time at the moment, but go through some of the posts on here and see where Eddy showed the calculations for wire sizes for the different voltages in the last couple of days as well as his posts on 5 volt versus 12 volt and you will see what I mean.
I will try to look some up later when I have a little more time for you as well.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Here is a post on wire sizing for you:
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=3875.msg33769#new
Here is one on strings and strips:
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,3812.0.html
Here is one of voltage drop:
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,3668.0.html
All the information for you is pretty much on here already. You just need to go through some of these and learn the differences and figure out what it is that you want to do exactly for your situation.

remoteutah

Full time elf
Mania - Yes, you caught what I was saying. Was just telling you to be sure you are ordering what you want/need. It can be confusing, money is tight, China is a long ways, and language barriers can jump into the mix. Glad you saw what where I was going with my post.

Maniaman

New elf
Thanks for the advice. I think I've got a pretty good idea what all I'll need. There's certainly a lot more to a pixel system than most people would think, especially if you're coming from an oldschool incandescent christmas lighting system.

remoteutah

Full time elf
Exactly!

There is a learning curve / paradigm shift from old to new. I have 10+ years of low-voltage and 34+ years of computer experience and there is STILL stuff that I am learning about all of this!