Am I missing something

Jimmy

New elf
As this is the first time with pixels I thought I would get some basics first.
I ordered 3 strings of pixels, a power supply and a remote controlled mini controller.
I put it all together but the pixels did not come on. I checked all the voltages and all seemed ok at 5v. As it was my first time I thought maybe I buggered something and put it all aside.
I eventually did another order for 3 more strings and a usb powered 3 button mini controller thinking nothing can go wrong this time. I the parcel arrived a short time later and I eagerly put it together. Unfortunately still no response with the pixels.
I find it hard to believe that the there is a problem with the 6 strings but don't know about the controllers.
Am I missing something here. Do they need to be turned on? There are no instructions but on youtube it looks simple.
I am just trying to get something going.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
do you have a link to the controllers you are using they seem like simple inline jobs that are basic. also do you have a link to the pixels you are using. the more info you give us the better we can help

scamper

Dedicated elf
As Ben said, give us a link to what you have purchased so we can understand what you have bought and what you are trying to do.
In the meantime have you read the 101 manual? It gives you a wealth of knowledge of how all this works and may spark something.

Jimmy

New elf
All of it came from ray wu

AU $4.29 | DC5-24V input smart mini RF pixel controller;support WS2811//WS2812B/TM1804/TM1809/INK1003 etc; https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bVJ0o6fW

AU $7.86 | Promotion!!!WS2811 DC5V 50nodes addressable LED pixel module,pixel string;IP68 rated;3inch(7.6cm)spacing;RGB full color https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/Cv0JEwG

AU $28.58 | Size: 215*105*29.5mm;5V/300W Slim type switch mode constant voltage LED power supply;AC90-135V/175-240V input https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/fWiyJo4

AU $4.29 | SP002E;LED pixel controller with USB connector for power input;supports WS2811/WS2812/WS2813/APA102C/UCS1903/TM1809 etc https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bbGRj6Iy

Jimmy

New elf
I have read the 101 guide. I can only think that the data signals are not getting through. I checked the voltages at each end and it shows 5v

jamesski

Apprentice elf
I have read the 101 guide. I can only think that the data signals are not getting through. I checked the voltages at each end and it shows 5v
On the pixels you got, the data only flows one direction. Try wiring up the lights from the other end of the string

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you have plugged directly into the JST plugs that come on the pixels then you should be connecting to the correct end. It is often hard to see but on the pcb within the pixel there will be a Di on the input side and Do on the output end. If you've chopped leads off things before connecting the 5V then there is some possibility that connections may have been swapped.

videoman3857

Full time elf
I got mine from Ray and had the same problem - the connectors on the pixels are HoHoHo about class for the controller.
My controller is the same as yours with the usb connector.
The string of lights that had the end with the 3 male pins sticking out was on the wires that came out of the strings exiting the lights.(Data out)
The connector with the 3 male pins sticking out was supposed to be on the other end of the lights (Data in)
I had to swap them around.

My lights also look like yours, have a black chip on the side where the data goes in and a downward pointing arrow on the opposite side of the LED board for Data out.

Jimmy

New elf
I think you might have something there. From what I can see the arrow pointing to the controller not away.
I shall cut the lead a swap ends.
Will let you know tomorrow.

Jimmy

New elf
I couldn't wait until tomorrow. You are correct, the plugs are on the wrong ends.
They are now all working.
I guess that is why Ray had them on sale.
Thanks all.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Good to see you have it sorted.

I've noticed that the sex of the connectors for the mini controllers and strip doesn't always match. The usual convention is to have the female on the output (controller or end of pixels) and the male on the input of the pixels. However some have them the other way around as you've found. Quite annoying.

videoman3857

Full time elf
I couldn't wait until tomorrow. You are correct, the plugs are on the wrong ends.
They are now all working.
I guess that is why Ray had them on sale.
Thanks all.

Glad it was a simple fix. Frustrating, but simple.
Yes, that could be why they are cheap. They may be the same batch as mine.
For testing purposes, the plugs are a pain when they are around the wrong way. In real life, it does not matter to me as they get cut off and replaced with waterproof pigtails.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.