Ammeter?

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Odd_Socks said:
Hi,

I've got some ACS712 chips that I am hoping to connect to my PI, so that I can monitor and log the current over the network during the show.

i hope you have more luck than i have had with them.. ive noticed they dont allways measure right.. but thats with the arduino's.. but then it could just be my bad coding using there there examples..lol

ShimmerNZ

New elf
smartalec said:
How fast do these meters react?
as i have pure white for like 1sec max..
is there any out there that will show the peak amps an keep in on the display for 5seconds?

I've grabbed myself a bunch of the same ones as bpj1980. They looked to have about a 0.5 ms refresh rate. Just fine for my purposes and they look kinda nice too.

Photo's of the install

Attachments

• 20160327_174050_resized.jpg
    20160327_174050_resized.jpg
    812.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20160327_174105_resized.jpg
    20160327_174105_resized.jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 84

B_P_J

Full time elf
They look great, very nicely done, neat and tidy install too, I need to get a few more for mine, then I can do some show & tell too,
Good work mate. :D

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This looks great, I wonder if will be able to detect shorts created by rain due to increased current draw.

pmflav

New elf

deblen

Full time elf
beeiilll said:
I have used things like these on some boxes I built:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-100V-10A-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Blue-Red-LED-Dual-Digital-Volt-Amp-Meter-Gauge-/131577787046?hash=item1ea2a5b2a6:g:lFcAAOSwMmBVzF8~

I had the boxes mounted on posts under my deck and with these facing the house away from the traffic, they made it handy to walk through and see what was going on quickly.
I installed them with a plexiglass face over the display to waterproof them and so far they have lasted for 6 years on the oldest one.

Just FYI, this is for a generic meter that I just looked up on eBay. I use similar ones but with shunts for some and different meters for others.
Pretty much need to design the right ones for what you want to monitor. I know you can buy remote shunts and devices to monitor voltage and/or amperage but that can get costly quickly.

Would be kind of fun to be able to sit in the office and see what each "box" was drawing out there in the display though!

Hi, I purchased some of these a while ago, At what point would I need a shunt, or not.

If I need a shunt, any recommendations.

Thanks

Deblen